Welcome to the warlords remake

Here you can follow the progress of our development progress

Welcome to the warlords remake

Postby piranha » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm

This our development blog for our remake of the classic warlords turn based game. I just got this forum up and some screenshots from the game in it current status.

Feel free to send any questions in the discussion forum.

Right now our aim is to have something playable in April, and a full game release in the summer 2010.
piranha
Site Admin

City functionality comming forward

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Update:
For the last few days I have been focusing on the city functionality, for selecting what unit to produce, as well as the functionality for buying other units to the city.
The client side scripting is more or less complete. The design might still need some tweaks from Piranhas side though :-)
After this I´ll start focusing on the server side, and the communication components.
SnotlinG

New graphics done.

Postby piranha » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Today I made graphics for temples, ruins, griffons, light and heavy cavalry. I think we have 60-70% of all units done now and 90% of the terrain.
piranha
Site Admin

Buying and producing units 90% completed.

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Continued work on the buy functionality. It is almost complete, it is now possible to choose unit to produce and buy new units.
There is a limit of max 4 units, after this the oldest unittype will be pushed out.

The server-side functions are now mostly done for this also. Including checks that the city is allowed to produce the selected kind of unit, and that the player can afford the new units he tries to buy. We cant trust the info from the client-side unfortunately, so everything needs to be doublechecked at serverside :mrgreen:

Still need to make an extra verification at end turn/save game on client to see that all city-updates are synced to the serverside, and if not send them again.
SnotlinG

Unit production finally completed.

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Worked the last few days on the produce unit functionality, and now it is working. :mrgreen:
Its a bit more complicated than one might think, where you need to take into consideration if the square is already occupied by 8 armies etc...
SnotlinG

Lot of terrain done.

Postby piranha » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I completed most of the hills terrain today. Still have road in hills left to do, and quite a lot of mountain terrain.
piranha
Site Admin

Attacking cities now possible.

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 pm

The last few evenings I have been focusing a lot on the city functionality, so that we will be able to do the beta testing sometime soon :mrgreen:

The latest updates is it is now possible to attack a city, and all the defenders in the city will be defending it at the same time. I.e. possibly up to 8x4=32 units! It will get crowded :-) Maybe I can get a screenshot soon.
I have a few bugs still to solve though with empty cities, as well as the changing of ownership of the city after the battle etc... And possible options for destroying or plundering the city on capture.

After this I will focus on income/upkeep as this is closely connected to cities.
SnotlinG

A bunch of units painted today.

Postby piranha » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

I created a catapult, unicorn, orc and archer yesterday.

I now have the following units left to do:

Archon
Heavy infatery
Demon
Worm
Dwarf
Pikemen
Elephant
Ghost
Elemental

And then there are some terrain details here and there to fix. But the graphics is not that far from completed.
I will start working on turn management now.
We have quite alot of ideas to make sure that the game does not stagnate when one player is losing and not making his turn in time.
piranha
Site Admin

Interface work done

Postby piranha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 pm

I've added shields to show player order and current player today. I also made some changes to the account page to make it easier to know how many hours left of your turn you have.

Pikemen is aslo added in the game now, painted by a supporter :-).

We are going to go through battle calculations tonight.
piranha
Site Admin

Battles taking shape.

Postby piranha » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 pm

I've been working on battles the last two days.
First we had a quite diffrent system than the orginal W2 DLX in mind, but now its going to be pretty close. with some exceptions.
We have added unit HP and its going to be used in such a way that if many lousy armies attack a good army and keep loosing they will slowly tear down the HP and kill units. This will ofcourse happend if good armies attack each other as well.

The idea is to make the low level units have more purpose late game than they do now.

The "dice" will still determine most battles, but the swarming stratergy might have a upswing.
piranha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Development blog