Swampmuckers3 [1.0] is submitted for review.

Discuss maps and help map makers make the best possible maps.

Swampmuckers3 [1.0] is submitted for review.

Postby BrutusButcher » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 am

New map: Swampmuckers3 [1.0] by BrutusButcher.
Map editor link: Swampmuckers3 [1.0]

BrutusButcher

Re: Swampmuckers3 [1.0] is submitted for review.

Postby BrutusButcher » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 am

This map designed for FFA 3 players in mind.

Give it a go, and let me know your thoughts on this map.
BrutusButcher

Postby KGB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Without even playing this map I can see 2 problems.

1) There are no cities by the Blue Capital. The other 2 capitals have 2 cities they can reach and capture on turn 1. Blue can't reach any cities on turn 1 unless they are lucky and get a swamp move unit. That initial advantage will multiply over time.

2) Just as important is that the map isn't divided into 3rds. Instead Blue is squished in the upper left corner while the other 2 sides have more space in the bottom right. on a 50x50 map with 3 sides you need 1 capital to be in middle (25th column) at the bottom (or top). The other 2 capitals will be diagonally located away from that single one. You can use the distance of a line (y=mx+b) to calculate where to place the other 2 after you place the one on the 25 column.

KGB
KGB

Postby Todzo » Mon May 08, 2017 3:02 am

I played as green and lost to red. Fun map, my only complaint was that it was strange so many neutral cities populated with a primary unit along with a bat you could not see -- might favor people with a lot of familiarity with the map. My game came down to red having a 60% chance to win against my hero stick with his hero stack and I lost -- the terrain and mix of unit definitely made for some very interesting strategic choices. I liked it, but am not sure about the balance issues raised by KGB as they did not affect me.
Todzo

Postby Chazar » Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 am

The problem with the additional crow in neutral cities can be easily avoided by the mapmaker: just place additional city defending units in any corner, except for the top-left. Thereby, players can easily see what is fixed in the map's design (as opposed to active cities).
Chazar

Return to Map feedback