Alba [3.0] is submitted for review.

Discuss maps and help map makers make the best possible maps.

Alba [3.0] is submitted for review.

Postby zorro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 pm

New map: Alba [3.0] by zorro.
Map editor link: Alba [3.0]

zorro

Re: Alba [3.0] is submitted for review.

Postby zorro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm

made some minor balance changes
- western starting city changed
- one city in the western mountains removed
- one city added near the northern starting point and one near the eastern one
- two guard towers added
- guard towers now occupied by one unit
- changed player starting cities to powerful city states (for 2-player games)
zorro

Postby KGB » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:00 am

Zorro,

I don't like these changes.

1) The West Start city is now too far away from all the middle cities. The other 2 sides head directly toward the middle where the cities are and they can reach some on turn 1. The Western start spot may not reach any until turn 3 and even then it's at most 1 city. I understand the idea of moving it further apart but now it's too far away and there are no L1 ruins nearby either. Please move it back.
2) The units in tower affects the south player because he *must* attack a tower to move to the central area which means possibly losing 2-4 starting units given that Elf is 27 strength thanks to the +15 tower!!! Dial that tower back to +5 because on turn 1-2 players don't have enough units to waste on towers.

If you are going to leave it like this then the North start spot MUST move north across the river by 3-4 squares make a river ford crossing there so that it costs 6 (or better 2 wide so it's 12) movement to cross. Then it might be close to balanced.

There is also a lot of wasted space in the S/W corner (that giant plain). Would love to see 1-2 cities in the south-middle of it (near the L3 ruin) so that there is some long term reason for the 2 south players to go there besides the ruins. Especially if there was another port further down on the river so that there could be a southern place to land armies away from scouts that are always around that island city.

KGB
KGB

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

I like the Change of the starting Spot but i agree to KGB. Maybe it works to move the new Starting City a little bit east or create a new One there and myke this the starting City. another City in the Plains would be nice. The North Spot could be moved to the City East in the Hills. Maybe there could be a small River with River Crossing in the West of the City to prevent too fast movement. Then i should be ok. The Tower are not a big Problem for me because in the North it prevent the Player to go not too fast in this direction and in the South you have Ports. But maybe +15 is a little too much...
Tim

Postby smursh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am

Have to see how the changes play out. In every game I've played on the previous version western start had won so I do think it needed downgrading. Overall I think the changes will make it more balanced but have to play a few games to really see.
smursh

Postby zorro » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 pm

thx for the feedback.

I'll make some more small changes.
zorro

Return to Map feedback