Orrwars [5.0] is submitted for review.

Discuss maps and help map makers make the best possible maps.

Orrwars [5.0] is submitted for review.

Postby slanmaster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:48 am

New map: Orrwars [5.0] by slanmaster.
Map editor link: Orrwars [5.0]

slanmaster

Re: Orrwars [5.0] is submitted for review.

Postby slanmaster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

All ruins are default
All towers are empty
Most income buildings have a set value
All neutrals cities are default, except one city near each start that has gotten a preset 1 or 2 turn basic production that fits their "theme"
1 ruin in the southeast that I deleted still shows some graphical outlines. You cannot use it, but I think it got bugged and really isn't there. I put a sign next to it, but maybe mods can look into it.
slanmaster

Postby KGB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Slanmaster,

Thanks for making some 1v1 setups. I don't play many 1v1 on maps this size but sometimes players do want marathon games on large maps so this helps them.

OK, I just read that sign. I *LOVE* the description you wrote. It's definitely a bug because you can't edit the ruin. If you really wanted to fix it I think you can just 'water' over the entire thing and it will get erased then you could re-create the island. But since the sign is so funny I'd rather you didn't.

KGB
KGB

Postby slanmaster » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Ah yes, I agree the sign and the bug gives a nice flavor. Let's keep it then. Also I already tried watering over it but nothing seems to erase the mirage ruin.

Just to add one note on balance. I've mainly had the top alternative of the 4v4 options in mind when working on balance between the teams (the one with the colors written out). I think that's the best way to play the map 4v4 and it's how I've test played it. I have no idea how the other setups work. I think it's fairly balanced FFA-wise (more exposed/central start equals more generous) but I can adjust it if it appears that it's too uneven. I am rarely brave enough to go to FFA battle without my full team, but if the community finds balance issues I'll look into it.
slanmaster

Postby KGB » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 am

Slanmaster,

When I've had issues like that before with phantom ruins I've had to cover it all over with something like Lava where it forces new terrain into the editor and one that doesn't allow for ruins on it. Usually I make a 5x5 area centered on the terrain I want to 'clear' then re-do the entire area from scratch replacing the Lava with the terrain I want. That's more an FYI for your next map making adventure.

I just looked at the 4v4 setups. What you have seems OK. White might be slightly cramped because they are stuck in a corner with 2 enemies on the same land mass so that spot will need some early help from Red to survive being squished. But presumably you know if that happens from your test games.

KGB
KGB

Postby makmak » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 am

Nice map Slanmaster
makmak

Postby slanmaster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Thx mate ☺
slanmaster

Postby smursh » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:22 pm

very nice map and I like the 4x4 setup better than the n vs s that people often create as everyone will be involved in the conflict at roughly the same time. should also be excellent map for ffa as well.
smursh

Postby slanmaster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Very nice to see this map got promoted to ladder map status! ☺
Im certain that quite a few balance issues will show, in FFA or any team setup. Post if you find any serious ones and we'll look for solutions. It was a challenge to balance an asymmetric map like this one.
Cheers
slanmaster

Return to Map feedback