Great Lakes [1.1] is submitted for review.

Discuss maps and help map makers make the best possible maps.

Great Lakes [1.1] is submitted for review.

Postby gggol » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm

New map: Great Lakes [1.1] by gggol.
Map editor link: Great Lakes [1.1]

gggol

Re: Great Lakes [1.1] is submitted for review.

Postby KGB » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 am

Gggol,

A few things.

1) There are 2 Sault Ste Maries. Originally from the Great Lakes region myself, I know there is a US and Canadian city by that name. But I believe Warbarons has issues when 2 cities have the same name (Snotling can confirm this). So you may want to name one slightly differently.

2) The starting positions aren't very well balanced. White (Montreal) for example has just 2 cities they will be able to take. Orange (Minnesota) has no nearby cities and no roads next to their capitol. Meanwhile Black (Detroit) and Blue (Chicago) have lots of nearby cities and roads leading right to them so that they will have 5-6 cities very early on. Even Yellow (Buffalo) is going to struggle because they have only 2 close cities before they have to walk a long way to their next one with no roads. So overall I think you need to add a few more cities to the map especially on the Canadian side and slightly adjust the roads.

3) Windsor is misspelled :)

A neat map though and fun to check out an area I grew up in and imagine conquering it.

KGB
KGB

Re: Great Lakes [1.1] is submitted for review.

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 pm

1. There is no problem with using the same name on several cities (except confusing players maybe) :-)
This was an issue in earlier versions of warbarons, so nothing to worry about now.
SnotlinG

Postby gggol » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks for the comments.

I didn\'t intend the positions to be balanced. The north is definitely weaker. But I did try to compensate them somewhat with more temples, mines, farms, and such, and with richer cities. Some of the cities in Michigan and Ohio are poor. Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto should be the strongest starting positions. But they are also neighbors, and centrally located which is a disadvantage. Two front war, you know. I think early on, Minneapolis and Chicago will fight each other. And Detroit will fight Toronto. Next, Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie may come to blows.

Montreal should be the first player in Sudbury and North Bay. I figured that gives Montreal 4 early cities, after which it\'s time to pick on Buffalo or Toronto, or maybe Sault Ste Marie. Might be nice to add Cheboygan, and possibly Indianapolis in a way that encourages Detroit and Chicago to fight over it. I wanted to keep the number of cities down, to make logistics more challenging. As to more roads, perhaps add one between Erie and Pitt. But that\'s what the lakes are about. They\'re supposed to be the best way to travel this map. Nearly every city has a nearby dock. Just Windsor (I\'ll fix the spelling later) does not, so that Toronto and Buffalo have a crack at it. Spend a tiny bit of money and build faster ships. Minneapolis is supposed to use that big river, and get to Dubuque and perhaps Rock Island before the Chicago player. Buffalo should be able to reach Erie fairly quickly, by water.
gggol

Postby gggol » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 pm

I made some changes. Added Bemidji for Thunder Bay, Cheboygan for Sault Ste Marie, Ryoun-Noranda for Montreal, and Philly for Buffalo. (BTW, why can\'t there be a dash in the city name?) Also added Indianapolis, but this is not to help the southern players. It\'s halfway between Detroit and Chicago, and is supposed to cause a fight.

Added a road from Pitt to Erie. And sprinkled some more terrain around the plains. Trying to give non plains units places to stop between turns.
gggol

Postby gggol » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Forgot to fix spelling of Windsor. Fixed, and resubmitted.
gggol

Return to Map feedback