Jack\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Reunion [8.0] is submitted for review.

Discuss maps and help map makers make the best possible maps.

Jack\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Reunion [8.0] is submitted for review.

Postby SouthernStar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 pm

New map: Jack\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Reunion [8.0] by SouthernStar.
Map editor link: Jack\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Reunion [8.0]

SouthernStar

Postby SouthernStar » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:39 am

I made this map for 8 players (and just converted it to beta5). My first attempt at map creation, so any feedback would be appreciated :)
SouthernStar

Postby bigmacca » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:53 am

great challenge map
bigmacca

Postby bigmacca » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:53 am

great challenge map
bigmacca

Re: Jack\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Reunion [8.0] is submitted for review.

Postby KGB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 am

SouthernStar,

I understand you are trying to do a mirror map for 8 players.

The problem is that with all the lava terrain boundaries each area is going to be impossible to invade other than the one or two roads. So what ends up happening is that players build a tower on those roads and fill it with men (Dwarves esp since they get +2 in those mountains and will be 1 turn 25 strength units). And the game degenerates into a big Mexican standoff because there is no place to maneuver as even fliers can't get past anything.

I would suggest opening up water to connect all 8 areas (at least 2 water ways into each area and ideally 4 so they can't be easily all blocked) through the middle by the Dragon city and sides of the central Cross. Place bridges over the water where your roads intersect the water you add. That at least allows naval invasions/Sea Serpents/Kraken in addition to road movement into each area (you need a few more ports to land those naval units for invasions).

Then I'd suggest more roads into and out of each area as well. You need at least 8 ways into each area (4 water, 4 land) and right now you only have 5.

Two other things:

1) Because flyers get eaten alive by archery almost everyone is going to make Elves and get the Pegasi city followed by expanding off their island toward the Serpent/Archon/Green Dragon since those neutrals will be a snap to take with 3-4 Elves. Might want to put a couple of crappy defenders like Lt Infantry in with those cities that have Flying units.

2) 157 cities is over kill. To capture even 65% is going to require getting 102 cities. That's an incredible number of cities to need to win and depending on the conditions set could be 120+ cities needed easily. That means probably a 200 turn game if you can capture 1 city every 2 turns and most likely a 300 turn game. Going to be hard to get 8 players to commit to a 250-300 turn game that could require 2-3 years to finish (8 players, 4 days to do 1 complete turn for each playerX200 turns = 800 days > 2 years). I'd drop the 33 cities in the Central Cross down to something like 5 (one in each part and 1 one in the middle) and then prune some more in other places and try to get down to around 100-110 tops.

KGB
KGB

Postby kenc80 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

i agree wtih KGB some. I'd like to see the middle linked better and obviously some of the castles taken out. Probably would be a long long game. Its a beautiful map though and very well done. It looks amazing. Why not link the middle with roads?

Ken
kenc80

Postby SouthernStar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for the feedback guys... exactly what I wanted to hear. I played with the idea of linking the water sections, but thought it messed up the Union Jack too much. I will modify it right after xmas and lower the number of cities as I too thought it might be a bit too many. As for the 2 or 3 years gametime tho, that wasn\'t the plan - the idea was for all teams to head for the central castle, capture it and hold it for x amount of turns to trigger a victory condition. Look forward to some more feedback with version 9. Cheers !!
SouthernStar

Postby SouthernStar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks for the feedback guys... exactly what I wanted to hear. I played with the idea of linking the water sections, but thought it messed up the Union Jack too much. I will modify it right after xmas and lower the number of cities as I too thought it might be a bit too many. As for the 2 or 3 years gametime tho, that wasn\'t the plan - the idea was for all teams to head for the central castle, capture it and hold it for x amount of turns to trigger a victory condition. Look forward to some more feedback with version 9. Cheers !!
SouthernStar

Postby KGB » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:11 am

SouthernStar,

You want to do a 'King of the Hill' victory setting. DLR had those and they can be really fun. If you are going to do that then I'd suggest you:

1) Definitely make roads right to that middle city as KenC suggested. You want all players to be able to get there quickly. You can consider placing a bless site for strength nearby for players to bless.
2) Increase the defenders to at least 16 (DLR often had 32 in King of the Hill). I'd suggest a Dragon, Devil, Lesser Archon and maybe 13 Lt Infantry with L6 walls (+10 defense). You want to make it hard to take that city so players need to bring several stacks. Maybe add a nice item or two in the city so who ever does get it is rewarded nicely.
3) Set the number of turns to 10 to need to own the city (DLR did that) so that you give other players a time to recapture.

The rest of the suggestions in my prior email I'd still do. In order not to mess up the map too much you can just make the water passages 1 wide, enough to get boats through.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:14 am

You can make it a king of the hill of you change to scenario format and add a trigger that says hold location for 10 turns on the center castle.
piranha
Site Admin

Return to Map feedback