Suggested Units

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Re: Suggested Units

Postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Maybe 5 or 10 Seige for the Treant, like Catapults have? Certainly captures the essence from Tolkien.
Jeremy

Postby kenc80 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 pm

yeah thats what I meant (still thinking in the old beta terms) yeah 5 siege.
kenc80

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:10 am

I think you have to be careful with the Ent name since it belongs to Tolkien specifically. Treant I think is OK since it was used in DLR and I don't believe Steve had to pay any rights.

Incidentally your Treant is way too powerful with all those super stats. He'd need to cost around 1900 gold and be a 4 (or 5) turn unit at least. I'd think it would be more realistic for him to be: 4 Turn, 30/3, move 11, Group Forest Move 1, +10 combat in forest, Siege 15, cost 1300. This gives the much asked for Siege 15 unit (Ents brought down Isengard) and provides tremendous forest skills (1 movement rate and +10 combat).

The other needed unit is a powerful late game ground unit to counter all the late game powerful flying units. So I suggest:

Titan (or Colossus): 4 Turn, 35/3, move 18, Individual Warding 20, Crushing Blow +1, cost 1600. Crushing Blow = +1 extra damage per hit with no carry over (ie if you hit a unit with only 1 hit left you don't damage the next unit ).

This guy can be used to break down cities / combat Demons/Green Dragons etc.

KGB
KGB

Postby kenc80 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Alright that sounds good. Treeant 4T,3HP,30STR,Group forest move1+10 group morale in forest, siege 15, cost 1300.

Now we just need some art! Anyone want to freehand an Ent?!
kenc80

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

KenC80,

I meant +10 individual combat for the Treant in the woods, not +10 group morale to the stack. He can't have 2 separate powers (Morale and Siege) since no unit has anything like that.

KGB
KGB

Postby Negern » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

It's hard, this with "powerful units" for certain terrains. There are none for forest, swamp or hills and those in other terrains (elephant, mammoth, sandworm etc) are not as powerful as the truly powerful units except for on certain maps or in certain situations.

I see no problem with adding more units of this type, but I think they should be pretty much equal to the other terrain specific units. Only the elephant has a bonus similar to the RDs, and I believe that is because of the elephant being native to open area and not giving any terrain move bonuses.

I don't even know if I think more should be added. Wolf riders + orcs / elves does pretty fine in swamps / forests, and hills are uncommon in great quantities and doesn't seem to need a strong unit. Or is the reason of their scarcity that there are no good hills-units around?
Negern

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Negern,

Dwarves are an incredible unit in the hills. 1 turn, group move 1 in hills, +10 bonus makes them a 1 turn 30 strength attacker and 1 turn 25 strength defender.

KGB
KGB

Postby Negern » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm

KGB wrote:Negern,

Dwarves are an incredible unit in the hills. 1 turn, group move 1 in hills, +10 bonus makes them a 1 turn 30 strength attacker and 1 turn 25 strength defender.

KGB

That's true, but i was thinking of something more spectacular. 8-)
Negern

Postby smursh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 am

Kracken are pretty powerful for swamps. Most players don't use them there because they can't transition to other terrain except water.

But I also find wolves quite useful for both swamp and forest. A 2-turn unit with +5 moral and pathfinding for just 425 gold is a bargain if you have a lot of forest/swamp on the map.

I agree that you don't have any moral/fear units for the hills/mountains. Perhaps a Manticore with +5 fear in mountains/hills. Flight, strength 30, movement 16, cost around 1000, maintenence 10, 3 turn production.
smursh

Postby hatchfactory » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:54 am

I would have to echo KGB in that dwarves are quite incredible in the hills, so much that no other bonus is needed. Playing a game in a map with a significant amount of hill terrain in key play areas such as "Strongholds" or "Unclaimed Lands" it is obvious. A 1 turner with incredible move, strength and additional attack no real need for additional morale or chaos units.

Before effort is expended towards new units I would prefer a little attention to some of the units that have become less useful. Such as the Archons, Dragons, Mammoth (not quite there yet), and the Orc. (Hmm.. Haven't seen many demons about lately either.) Maybe before 0.9 gets released someone should start up the ol unit balancing thread :geek: .
hatchfactory

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy talk