first turn strategy

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Re: first turn strategy

Postby LPhillips » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:24 pm

It's a bit of a rant, KGB, but I'm not sure it is irrelevant. First turn strategy is about building to late game strategy, and if choosing the Paladin and leveling him is a pointless gesture for the mid-late game, then it's very relevant to the discussion.
LPhillips

Postby kenc80 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

Its fair, I was definitely on tilt and ranting. To be fair, his city did have some power units in but it just made me mad thats all. I think the point is that the Assassination in city defense with multi stacks does need to be reworked and it sounds like it is.

I'll let it be and would add that the best bit of advice KGB gave a few comments earlier is the wait till the end of the turn to buy/move heroes. You taught me that back in beta3 and I've used that advice ever since. It seems obvious but can make a world of difference...
kenc80

Postby tabanli » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

My first turn strategy is even before starting the first round, I play the map single player against AI (computer). This helps me in many ways

1) Hero Pick: Size of the map, terrain, strength of neutrals and number of level 1 ruins determines the hero pick. If it is a small map you will need a fast hero. If it is a big map with though neutrals you may need a hero with attacking bonus potentials (Valkyrie or Paladin). If near your capital there is only one ruin you may skip good ruin hunter hero for the first round.

2)Questions to find the best strategy for expanding: Should I expand in two directions or one? Should I expand to the flanks or to the center? Should I prepare an early assault, a rush to the opponent? Is there anything good at the islands? Is it worth to send a hero to a corner side to search for ruins?

3)Bonus Units:Bonus units depends on Hero choice and expansion plan. In a fast game I rarely have more than two bonus. My bonus units are battering ram if I can expand in multiple directions in a large map with strong neutrals, Elephants, Mammoth or Crusader if I want an early land assault to the opponent, Yeti or Unicorn are optional. Any unit than moves slower than 14 can only be a defender. 14 is the speed of my slowest hero.

4) Meat Units and Defenders: I decide very early what my meat units are, what my defense units are. My meat units are knights, cavalries, wolverine in an open field, Yetis in snow, Giants in hills, Gryphons in Mountains. As for the defense I may choose Heavy or Light infantry, Orcs, Dwarfs or Elfs based on terrain.
tabanli

Postby Moonknight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Not a bad strategy for those just starting out here and getting used to the different maps/new maps.

Be careful in thinking a game versus humans would play out the same way on that map though.
Moonknight

Previous

Return to Strategy talk