Countering the "Tower Turtle"

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Countering the "Tower Turtle"

Postby all5n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm

So I have seen a strategy where players can blunt a counterattack by building a tower for their army at the end of each turn.

Has anyone found a good counter to this strategy?

Do sandworms and siege units have a similar effect on towers as they do on cities?
all5n

Re: Countering the "Tower Turtle"

Postby KGB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:52 pm

all5n wrote:Do sandworms and siege units have a similar effect on towers as they do on cities?

Yes.

KGB
KGB

Postby Jeremy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:43 pm

And that works? You immediately get the defensive bonus? No having to wait a full turn?

Oh, I didn't know that! Not that I'd use it often, but it's always nice to have a new tool in the toolbag.
Jeremy

Postby all5n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

That's a good question. I think it immediately grants the bonus from what i can tell. The wiki doesnt say anything about waiting a turn.
all5n

Postby KGB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm

It grants it immediately assuming you upgrade the tower to L3 (by default I think it's only L1) like with city walls.

KGB
KGB

Postby ManGalori » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

It is not necessary to forget that towers are under construction in a certain territory. And units placed in a tower can have an bonus in this territory.

Still towers can build for concealment of quantity and, partly, structure of the army.
ManGalori

Postby LPhillips » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 am

I find people with towers tend to overestimate the defensive strength of their units/stack. It's consistently been a good excuse to feed my heroes so far. Conversely, I noticed that many opponents are overly cautious of towers. I gain an unwarranted advantage simply by occupying one near them, no matter how relatively weak the army inside is.

It would be good for players to think of towers as cities which can only be defended by 1 stack. Thus, in a game balanced to allow up to 4 stacks to defend against 1 offensive stack, they're not very intimidating. One major factor in this is that your units may employ their terrain bonuses against a tower, so your mobile interceptors (such as cavalry) are not at a disadvantage as they normally would be when assaulting a city.
LPhillips

Return to Strategy talk