Stories, positive and negative

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Stories, positive and negative

Postby LPhillips » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 am

So, I just tempted Ezras with a massive pile of units backed by a hero and dragons hidden under a few Light Cavalry. Then I dropped him a provocative message and watched him move in for the kill and huge XP that should have been his reward... if it had all been Light Cavalry or weaker :D

His powerful stack was wiped out, but because my hero had such great odds she only gained 2 levels :(
This was a two-turn trap, after Ezras had handily decapitated one of my better heroes and lost only 1 unit in the process.

Meanwhile, the hero/ally system needs reworking because if you're wealthy you will have Dragons coming out of your ears! Why buy production when you can have 10 heroes and 20-30 Archons/Dragons?

In another game, my friendly competitor Girafot was threatening me with a Dreadlord. I had the superior odds, couldn't afford to let him be on the offensive, so I hit him... with only 60% probability of success. And lost. Later, however, the RNG gave me back my dignity when the same hero (his main/highest) attacked my main hero with over 60% probability of success... and lost :D
Granted, Girafot is way ahead. I'm not going to win the game. But sometimes a little vindication feels good :D

In another game, Kenc8 had me in the grinder. I had more cities and a larger army, but by superior play he reduced me to 1 hero and an equal army count over the course of several turns. However, the pressure of the constant attacks convinced him that it was only a matter of time, and he resigned. Again, I'd like to state that as far as gameplay skill goes he was kicking my ***, but it seems the mental game is big too.
LPhillips

Re: Stories, positive and negative

Postby ezras » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 am

i thought that cryptic message was directed toward my wizard running around behind your lines. It was a good trap, no doubt about it, but the message had nothing to do with my attack.

Anyway we have had the production cost vs ally cost discussion at length on other forums. It seems like a predominant issue in Illuria West and less so on other maps.
ezras

Postby kenc80 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm

youre really too kind lphillips I was badly beaten in the north and my flank totally turned. I was also in a really impatient mood that day but give yourself a little credit, you whippped me pretty good.
kenc80

Postby LPhillips » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe you're right, but I was close to quitting the turn before. So it's definitely a mental game on those FoW maps. I have to take my example from KGB in "A Feast for Crows". The situation looked utterly hopeless, but by diplomacy and hero management he turned it around on Crow.

Thankfully there's a good opponent in West Illuria to test my mettle. Bring it on, Ezras! ;)
LPhillips

Return to Strategy talk