Light Infantry

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Light Infantry

Postby ams16 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:22 pm

What's the point of Light Inf?
If I know a city is producing Light Inf, I plunder it away. If I have a city that produces only LI, I sometimes don't produce them, since I'd rather have the upkeep cost than the unit. They seem completely useless to me.

Does anyone like them?
ams16

Re: Light Infantry

Postby Pillager » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Light inf are really pretty pathetic compared to the other one turn units. I usually plunder cities that build them and spend some gold to build heavy inf there. I occasionally keep light inf, if a temple is nearby. Once they get a strength blessing, they become a mediocre unit.

I would like to see some of the other one turn units get nerfed slightly. If this happens, the light inf might become a viable choice.
Pillager

Postby LPhillips » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Light infantry are valuable in city defense. With bonuses they're useful, and you can hide them under other units to look more frightening. It's common for me to stick a couple under a single Heavy Infantry and make weaker cities look well-defended. Plundering them doesn't get you much of anything, but with bonuses they become useful. I'll pile them in with a dragon+hero as fodder troops on less difficult battles.

Overall they're the weakest land unit. But that's their role. Cheap, decently mobile, and only really useful if you can boost their strength. There's really nothing wrong with some units not having a vital niche that they fill better than any other unit.
LPhillips

Postby zorro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:55 pm

They also have their value in their upkeep. The only unit along with scout for 1/turn. But Str needs to be upped.
zorro

Postby LPhillips » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 pm

No, then they'd be Heavy Infantry with extra move. They are what they're supposed to be; the problem is rather the way city production is randomly generated. It's an unbalanced system when you can get Light Infantry/Scout or Dwarfs/Pikemen from the same city level.
LPhillips

Postby zorro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 am

ah, no, I meant during game play, they need that temple to up their str
zorro

Return to Strategy talk