Hint for beginners

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Hint for beginners

Postby kenc80 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:20 am

Hey beginners,

I mention this even though it seems obvious but in two games recently i came across un-searched ruins late in games and the ruins werent even guarded! As nice as it is to add $1000 to my war chest late in games its inexcusable those ruins werent searched. I'm talking level 3 (tower) ruins which have the most gold.

Pro Tip: You should ALWAYS search ruins in your area, ESPECIALLY in early game situations but really all the time. As has been discussed in other posts, many advanced players buy the amazon hero first just to get the extra moves. In some games I have multiple heroes who's only job is to pretty much just seek out ruins.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS search ruins!!! Get a bat/crow and start flying to them immediately!
kenc80

Re: Hint for beginners

Postby zorro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:58 am

awww, you told them ...
zorro

Postby Sanity » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am

Hey, this will be my first post. :D

I was (and still is) a great fan of Warlords II back in the day, so naturally i like this game, and feel i must include a sound thank you to the developers for this game. THANK YOU! :D

OT: I find it a bit hard remembering which ruins i've allready searched, and as I'm on a netbook atm it's often too much of a hassle to click on all the ruins to check if i've missed one. So i would love seeing the ruin overview as in war2 where you can see which ruins have been looted and which haven't when you click on one. Hope this will be implementent in beta4 along with all of the other goodies.
Sanity

Postby kenc80 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Hey sanity, I believe you can hover over the ruins with your mouse and it will say whether its been explored or not so you wont have to click. I am also a big War 2 fan and thats what got me here...glad to see a fellow War 2 fan!

Ken
kenc80

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Sanity,
In Beta4 we will try to get some kind of graphic change if the ruin is explored or not.

kenc80, yes onmouseover should tell you if the ruin is searched or not. The click displays additional information like ruin level etc (which you can see on the graphic)
SnotlinG

Postby ezras » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 am

But can you gain this information if that particular ruin is in the fog?
ezras

Postby LPhillips » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 am

All ruins are shown as unexplored in fog unless you see them after they are explored, at which point the status is changed.

In War2 I think you could see that information all the time, regardless of fog, with the ruin overview. I think the graphic will be quite sufficient for this. Especially if the minimap symbols change as well (War2 never had a good minimap like Warbarons does). I would personally avoid a ruin overview. Maybe things will change enough to warrant another menu, but more menus are just more clutter if their purpose is fully served by something as nice and convenient as the minimap.
LPhillips

Postby Sanity » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:06 am

I agree that a graphic indication would be sufficient. In war2 it's indicated on the minimap when you click on a ruin by an open door when the ruin is searched, and a closed when it's not. This only goes for ruins you have discovered when using fog.
Sanity

Postby Chazar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

The "inspect hero" dialogue shows its own map, showing ruins just as black dots, like in the minimap. Why not have ruins color coded in that map view (black=status unknown, red=unexplored,green=explored)
and omitting enemy units in that particular map view?
Chazar

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Thats a good idea. I´ll try to include it in next version!
SnotlinG

Next

Return to Strategy talk