Hint for beginners

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Re: Hint for beginners

Postby LPhillips » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 am

Wow, major kudos for digging up an old relevant topic instead of starting a new one!
LPhillips

Postby ptGamer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am

kenc80 wrote:Hey beginners,

I mention this even though it seems obvious but in two games recently i came across un-searched ruins late in games and the ruins werent even guarded! As nice as it is to add $1000 to my war chest late in games its inexcusable those ruins werent searched. I'm talking level 3 (tower) ruins which have the most gold.

Pro Tip: You should ALWAYS search ruins in your area, ESPECIALLY in early game situations but really all the time. As has been discussed in other posts, many advanced players buy the amazon hero first just to get the extra moves. In some games I have multiple heroes who's only job is to pretty much just seek out ruins.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS search ruins!!! Get a bat/crow and start flying to them immediately!

Hi, I am about 2 months "new" to the game. Just to expand on kenc80's comments, and from a hard lesson that I learn, even with a Paladin hunting a level 1 ruin is not guaranteed, and with valk as your starting hero, you probably don't want to search ruins on turn 1 without support. Good luck :D
ptGamer

Postby Moonknight » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:57 pm

ptGamer wrote:Hi, I am about 2 months "new" to the game. Just to expand on kenc80's comments, and from a hard lesson that I learn, even with a Paladin hunting a level 1 ruin is not guaranteed, and with valk as your starting hero, you probably don't want to search ruins on turn 1 without support. Good luck :D

Yeah, this is one of the reasons we should probably have sub-categories by beta version under threads such as "Game Discussion" and "Strategy Talk".

When Ken wrote those comments, it was in a previous beta where there were no guardians inside ruins, only on the outside that were visible to see.
Moonknight

Postby kenc80 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Yes, Moon is correct, the old beta did not have ruin guardians so it kept driving me crazy not to see ruins being searched. However, I would still say that ruin hunting is a critical part of my strategy. I almost always build scouts initially in my capital to assist with travel & ruins early on if I dont get any to start with.

If I'm on a ruin heavy map or a "long game" that wont be over in 10 turns I always always build ghosts. They have such versatility and help with the ruins. One thing I usually do though is move them up the fight order to protect them. Their ambush remains with the stack after they die in a fight but I prefer them live if at all possible.

Might be good for KGB to republish Hugh's ten commandments with some new beta tweaks once we see it.
kenc80

Previous

Return to Strategy talk