Full court press.

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Full court press.

Postby ezras » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:42 pm

So the limited versus unrestricted growth model have been discussed elsewhere but I find myself in a unique or weird place. I am aggressive to the point of it being a flaw. I fully admit it. I will attack with everything until I have nothing left. In a few games I have played I gained the upper hand and lost it because of hero mismanagement or a reluctance to raze cities when I knew I should have. Anyway here is the point. In these games I should have been soundly defeated in a matter of a few turns with aggressive counter attacks. I find that I am allowed to make dire mistakes and the opponent does not capitalize on them. This is annoying me to the point that I am ready to resign (which I almost always refuse to do, I'll die fighting to the last woman and child with sharpened bamboo spears) Why the reluctance for aggressive play? Why do I find it so annoying that my opponent will not just attack me and be done with the game??
ezras

Re: Full court press.

Postby kenc80 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 am

if this is referring to the USA game I am attacking you with just about everyone I have for the record.
kenc80

Postby ezras » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 am

no. just speaking in general. Just wondering what most players do...
ezras

Postby kenc80 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:41 am

to seriously answer your question ezras i think a lot of it comes down to lack of scouting by your opponent. If they cant see your depleted center, they may be unwilling to attack it
kenc80

Postby LPhillips » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 am

Well, for the record, you know that I gave you all the aggressive action you wanted when we played our classic West Illuria FFA, right? :D

You even slaughtered some good heroes, thrown to the open maws of Mars! Just because of our mutual lust for battle.

Anyway, a lot of players are cautious to a fault. Scouting is a big thing, but I find some people will perform exactly the same way in a non-FoW map! They will ignore opportunities, fail to recognize advantages, and sit on the defensive when their opponents are up in city count and income. We don't have a collection of strategic geniuses here, just casual players.

I personally love the feeling similar to fear when I am playing someone who is unknown or dangerous and each turn is opened with a bit of anxiety. Negern (for example) is fun to play with. I don't know about his overall skill level, but he has no chance at all of winning and he's making suicide runs with heroes to burn my cities. We have fun bantering back and forth, and I find myself opening turns with that same feeling of anxiety for my heroes and kingdom even though my victory (over the game, and not just Negern) is assured.

I'm in your shoes, though, Ezras. I'm aggressive to a fault; I love to roll the dice. This game has forced a different approach where victory must be certain and not just marginally likely. You and I would think it's most fun when playing with friends to rush those brute chieftains with a hammer and a few grenades. The guys who really just want to run a blitz every play and go for the ball, even though we know we wouldn't make it most of the time. Because after all, who has fun playing it safe all the time?

Warbarons just isn't the game for that. It's a game for the thinking man/woman, the planner and strategist, the person who thinks 5 turns ahead and hopefully can enjoy being overturned by simple luck.
LPhillips

Return to Strategy talk