DON'T search ruins early

Discuss strategies of warbarons

DON'T search ruins early

Postby gggol » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

I disagree with the advice to search ruins, especially early in the game, with a level 1 hero, even against a level 1 ruin. At near 50%, the chance of your hero dying is just too high. The outcomes have a disproportionate effect on the game. I would only risk it if desperate, if I am already losing.

The possibilities are:

1) Hero loses. You get nothing in compensation-- no money, no units. And, you can't afford a replacement hero. This outcome is so devastating it could be the game decider.

2) You get a pile of money. That helps, but only a little, and certainly not enough to justify the risk. You won't be able to make effective use of that money early in the game.

3) You get an item.
a) The item is a battle item, which is nearly useless. The only time that is used is when the hero is personally battling. Only takes a couple of bad rolls for your hero to lose despite the fancy weapon.
b) The item helps all units with the hero. This is one of the best outcomes. But, can achieve the same result with a lot less risk by leveling up.

4) A few powerful units join you. This is real help. I presume this can happen, but I have yet to see that outcome.
gggol

Re: DON'T search ruins early

Postby KGB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Gggol,

Currently option 4 is not possible (Allies) as a reward.

If you are planning to search ruins early on, take a Paladin as your first hero since his success chance is more than double that of the Valkrie/Dreadknight. Then add a couple of scout units to increase his chances of success even higher (3 scouts = 100% chance to succeed).

I find getting 700-900 gold (gotten that a lot) early on to be very useful as it gets a 2nd hero or allows Dragon production (at 1800 the best deal BY FAR in the game) by turn 5-6.

KGB
KGB

Postby magian » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm

I got two fire elementals as allies in (i believe) a lvl 1 ruin.

Otherwise, what KGB said.
magian

Postby ezras » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30 am

yeah, but lvl 1 ruins, they usually give you like 400 gold, totally not worth it. We were talking early on in the game so I assumed that lvl 1 heroes were doing the searching. I completely agree and think that lvl 1 ruins are pointless and completely not worth the risk either.
ezras

Postby KGB » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 am

I've gotten between 300-900 gold in a level 1 ruin with a L1 Paladin.

No risk, no reward :)

I think the L1 ruins are well balanced now with the additive power of undead lore and the addition of undead lore on scouts.

KGB
KGB

Postby ezras » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah, I didn't know that benefit of scouts. that's huge.
ezras

Postby ezras » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:59 am

lvl 3 ruin, 491 gold.... wtf. lvl 3 ruin, devil..... lvl 3 ruin, exp no reward at all....
ezras

Postby KGB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:19 am

Ezras,

Are you sure you didn't also receive an item too?

Many items also give a small gold reward in addition to the item. It's easy to be confused and think all you got is gold in that case because the reward screen just shows gold. You have to look carefully on the ground or note when you select your hero again that you also get an option to select the item in addition to the hero + building.

KGB
KGB

Postby ezras » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:27 pm

KGB, I do not believe so, I have seen that dialogue box before with the gold and an item. I also checked the Hero inventory screen and there were no items on the ground. Do items on the ground remain there from one turn to another or are they disappearing at the end of a turn?

It has taken me a while to get a hero with enough UL to safely search lvl 3s, (I am an inpatient player as many have probably noticed) so I was a little disappointed. I was also in a smaller game where my opponent had searched lvl 3 ruins and had some awesome gear so I was a bit excited. we will wait and see..

BTW I love the broken ruin graphics. Lvl 2 ruins could be a bit more dramatic though.
ezras

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes if you have very bad luck, it is possible you only found 491 gold in a lvl3 ruin.

Items on the ground remain where they are, so other players can find them and pick them up etc.

Nice to hear you like the broken ruin-graphics :-) Unfortunately we had some restrictions (both code-wise as well as money-wise) when getting them, so thats why they are so similiar to the unexplored ones...
SnotlinG

Next

Return to Strategy talk