Hero Abilities (Beta 4)

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Hero Abilities (Beta 4)

Postby Moonknight » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 am

So is anyone using any hero abilities other than UL?

I'm experimenting with Divine Movement right now with a Valkyrie combined with Sea Serpents. The thought is in a water/swamp heavy map this group can get around quickly.

Pathfinding would seem to be useful in heavy Hills/Forest/Swamp maps, but usually you are producing units that will accommodate the group move.

Pillage seems like a waste to me. I haven't played enough to see if increasing intelligence is worthwhile or not.
Moonknight

Re: Hero Abilities (Beta 4)

Postby magian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am

I usually buy a paladin for ruin hunting and a dreadknight as my second hero. The dreadknight doesn't bother with UL or searching ruins so I've been going the pillage route with them. Seems to pay off, although pathfinding might be better.

Pillaging now reduces the income/turn of the city. So, that does make me less inclined to pillage. :cry:
magian

Postby LichKing » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 am

Pathfinding seems a waste to me: max you can reach is movement 3 on hills, the same as scout, that costs 75 and you can produce only one for that reason. The best are imo UL (paladin only), intelligence (but sometimes it doesn't work well, I don't know why), 'always fly', and pillage for DreadKnight (unless you have Dragons that have 75). Pillage is good because it should raise also the gold you gain from an enemy when you conquer a town (without plundering production), and to pillage more gold (if you plunder production) is always a good thing.
LichKing

Postby magian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Dang, I though you could reach 2 movement in all terrain with pathfinding. If that isn't the case it is pretty pointless. Especially since scouts are so useful these days.
magian

Postby ams16 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Does anyone else have problems with increasing intelligence? I have a hero that I've always increased intelligence on, and it doesn't seem to have as much int as it should.
ams16

Postby Moonknight » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure pathfinding reduces all the way to 2 (if possible). The first point towards it reduces movement by 1, 2nd point reduces 2, 3rd point reduces 3...all with a minumum of 2 movement.

At least that's the way I'm reading it, otherwirse why would there be 3 different levels of pathfinding?
Moonknight

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 am

We currently have a bug in beta4 with intelligence... it seems it cant be increased above 127. This is fixed in beta5.
SnotlinG

Return to Strategy talk