Dwarves and Giants

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Dwarves and Giants

Postby ams16 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 am

I love dwarves. Yes, they are slow (except in the hills). But they are 15 strength 1 turn units that attack at 20.

I'm just wondering why people even bother with Giants. Why have one giant when you could have 2 dwarves?
ams16

Re: Dwarves and Giants

Postby KGB » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:27 am

Ams16,

Because with the slow speed they are never attacking (other than neutrals which don't fight back). Dwarves mostly get attacked and end up at 15 strength. Giants also move much further which means they can go in hero stacks and work with other bonus units (Yeti/Crusader/Pegasi/Dragon/Devil/Medusa etc). It's much harder to justify leaving Dwarves with hero stacks or bonus units because of their slow speed.

I never buy a Dwarf unless the map area I am in is loaded with hills and I need them for travel.

KGB
KGB

Postby ams16 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Do you use Pikemen? Because they have the same disadvantages, but I like them, too.
ams16

Postby magian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:24 pm

I almost never buy giants, but I do use them if I find them. Giants really aren't great, but they are both reasonably strong and quick.

Dwarves, I do buy. They are incredibly useful for transporting stacks through hills, and are 20 strength when attacking in any terrain (not too shabby for a one-turn unit). My dwarves do attack btw, stacks of dwarves destroying much more valuable hero stacks on more than one occasion. I don't buy dwarves very often though, they are just too expensive. I prefer to save my money for more game changing units (the red dragon is just too cheap to resist).

Not sure if the dwarf is really a better unit than the giant, it is just a more specialized unit. Great in a big clump of hills, and quite good to build near a port (where they can hop on board a boat to give their stubby little legs a rest).
magian

Postby flash » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm

I like dwarves too. They are a good 1turn Unit. I buy them a lot, especially on those maps where hills are to travel through. But I must admit that they are a bit expansive as defensive unit compared to the heavy infantry. So I mostly only buy them when I want to use the move bonus - not really as attacking unit.
flash

Return to Strategy talk