New Site

Beta4 testers

New Site

Postby KGB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I realize this isn't Beta4 related but the new site doesn't seem to remember my login like the current one does. So I have to login each time I visit.

Also, even though I specified EST, the game times listed for each turn continue to be in GMT. This means they are 'off' by 6 hours on the amount of time remaining in a turn (ie when I have 6 hrs left on the screen my turn is over). The Beta2 site corrected for this but the Beta3 site (warbarons.com) never did.

KGB

P.S. The new Unit Wiki lists the upkeep for every unit to be 1 gold per turn. Is that correct or is the Wiki outdated?

P.P.S. If I try and create a new game and get an error (for example I don't name the game) the error message that pops up does not have a close button on it. So I have to re-load the brower.
KGB

Re: New Site

Postby KGB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 am

One more thing.

Looking over the new site format compared to the current one, I prefer the Forum have it's own button at the top. It's literally the first place (only in 99% of my visits) I go on the site so it's annoying to now have to drop down from Community to get to the Forum.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 pm

I'll put the forum as a separate button.

You can just press my account instead of login, but I'll fix so it takes you to the account right away instead.

The wiki was updated earlier but is outdated again and some parts were left unfinished.

I'll check the error popup missing close button.

Didn't know about the time zone problem. Will see if I can fix that again. I guess its wrong in the game too? not just in the list?
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Piranha,

Thanks for fixing those issues, especially the Forum button :)

I suspect the timezone is wrong in the game too but I never look that closely at the time remaining once I am in my turn because I very rarely need to return to complete a turn. So I don't tend to notice the time left once I am playing my turn.

Overall, the new Wiki looks pretty good. I know a few things are outdated/missing (including the ability to start a test game) but most of the new features seem to be described there. It's great you've done that. You might want to consider allowing a few veteran users/players to have access to modify/update the wiki so you and Snotling don't have to spend all your time doing it.

KGB
KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:41 am

A couple more suggestions

1) As I mentioned, I normally come to the site and check my games then look at the forum and after that leave the site. Is there any chance your News button could change color or have a (new) placed under it (like in the forums) to indicate there was a post there since the last time I visited the site. That would be handy so I don't have to go there all the time looking to see if you've posted any News about the game/site etc.

2) In the Community->Team area you might want to have some way to have players advertize they are looking for teammates. Most players I suspect won't know anyone and will need a way to find a team mate other than going to the Forum and posting. It doesn't need to be anything really complex. Just a chat window like your general site chat would be fine. Just make sure to add a date/time so players know if something is really old and out of date.

3) You might want do something similar in the Competition drop down and have a general place for players to issue challenges etc.

KGB
KGB

Return to beta4 discussion