And the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey goes to...

Discuss anything here

Re: And the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey goes to...

Postby KGB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Igor,

Has Putin ordered the Russian players be sent to the Gulag yet? :)

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 am

Poor Igor, where in Russia do you live by the way?
Moonknight

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Ha-ha-ha. Very funny.
There was too big preassure on RF team. Home Olympic games, much attention from government of the country and from journalists.
They didn't show even half of how they can play.
They also need Pavel Bure who could push to Finland team 4 goals per match. :D
Igor

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm

I loved Pavel Bure! He was a very exciting player.

Somehow Canada managed all that pressure in 2010 and won gold ;)

The problem is they didn't play as a team. Just a bunch of individuals and the NHL and KHL guys didn't get along. Not to mention the lack of quality defense men once again meant no passes to the forwards. Russian hockey development should concentrate on training the next Fetisov or at the very least a couple of Konstantinov's.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 pm

KGB wrote:I loved Pavel Bure! He was a very exciting player.

Somehow Canada managed all that pressure in 2010 and won gold ;)

The problem is they didn't play as a team. Just a bunch of individuals and the NHL and KHL guys didn't get along. Not to mention the lack of quality defense men once again meant no passes to the forwards. Russian hockey development should concentrate on training the next Fetisov or at the very least a couple of Konstantinov's.

KGB

That looked so, really, I saw that. Too many super stars don't guarantee the win.
But in two months all is changed. In the current World Championship Russia plays as a united team where forwards are ready to make a pass to a team partner if he is in better position for attack of net.
I waited 3 matches to see is it single game or the permanent style. And now all can see the great result of Russian team:
Russia - Switzerland, 5:0
Russia - Finland, 4:2
Russia - USA, 6:1.
Team plays as team, this is what is good to see, doesn't matter who will win.

Russian team has finally broken "black line" of 6 lost matches vs Finland team.
Wish to young American team to recover after the rout ;-)
Igor

Postby KGB » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 am

The World Championship gets no real coverage in North America because everyone is watching the Stanley Cup playoffs where the best players are still playing ;)

I've always thought the format was a really great idea. Games in lots of different countries with many days between games so players have a chance to relax and have fun. You also play I think 6 games before the playoffs so there is time for teams to learn to play together which doesn't happen at the Olympics (3 games in 5 days).

Something I have always wanted to do is come to Europe for 2 weeks during the World Championships and just travel around to the cities where the games are being played and watch the games and get a chance to see the cities and countries of Europe.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Thu May 15, 2014 5:37 am

Yeah, Stanley Cup is a good working business and perhaps players' income there is much more than in other national ice hockey competition. Sure that mostly capable players try to get on the draft.
But I should say that some really talanted players turned back to KHL and became to play better than they were in Stanley Cup.
I think there is a difference between styles of playing in differnt leagues. Many dozens of years ago Canadian professionals visited Moscow to play last match from a group of matches with Soviet team. In that game somebody from guests applied a dirty powerful reception against Kharlamov and the greatest player couldn't to continue the match. Seeing this our legendary TV commentator Ozerov said that we don't need such hockey.
I don't watch Stanley Cup but I heared that too many dirty methods in playing there when many players got traumas. If so it's not so interesting on my look. To watch powerful clash of players is better on channel where ultimate fighting is being shown where it's very interesting.
What I like in ice hockey is combinative style with many nice passes and dribbling. That is what Soviet hockey could show. But what Western hockey trains players is powerful receptions, struggle near net, shoots from long distance and using advantage during 5:4 playing. It's effective of course, but it's not a good show at my look, business only.
If it could possible, I would limit much of foreign players to let hockey get more national traits.
But I heared during this World Championship that in the US is now struggling with dirty play. Only compliments for this if so.
Igor

Postby KGB » Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Igor wrote:I think there is a difference between styles of playing in differnt leagues. Many dozens of years ago Canadian professionals visited Moscow to play last match from a group of matches with Soviet team. In that game somebody from guests applied a dirty powerful reception against Kharlamov and the greatest player couldn't to continue the match. Seeing this our legendary TV commentator Ozerov said that we don't need such hockey.

Bobby Clarke. Deliberately slashed his ankle and broke it in 1972. I am old enough to remember watching it (I was 7). It's a legendary play and one of the most dirty plays in the history of hockey. It may have allowed the Canadians to win the series.

Igor wrote:I don't watch Stanley Cup but I heared that too many dirty methods in playing there when many players got traumas. If so it's not so interesting on my look. To watch powerful clash of players is better on channel where ultimate fighting is being shown where it's very interesting.
What I like in ice hockey is combinative style with many nice passes and dribbling. That is what Soviet hockey could show. But what Western hockey trains players is powerful receptions, struggle near net, shoots from long distance and using advantage during 5:4 playing. It's effective of course, but it's not a good show at my look, business only.
If it could possible, I would limit much of foreign players to let hockey get more national traits.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are very physical. Not dirty but physical. There are some dirty plays that happen but for the most part now it's only hard hitting physical hockey. This does not appeal to everyone (you are one person who doesn't like it) here either as I have friends who don't like that style. But it's legal and within the rules and will power and intimidation are powerful forces that win a lot of hockey games. That's why Team Canada has always been so successful because will power and intimidation have been one area other countries can't match us.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Thu May 22, 2014 8:24 pm

KGB wrote:That's why Team Canada has always been so successful because will power and intimidation have been one area other countries can't match us.
KGB

Czech Republic - USA 4:3
Finland - Canada 3:2

Canada will show her power and intimidation at home, perhaps for white bears :lol:
Igor

Postby Igor » Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm

We are the champions - my friend
And we'll keep on fighting till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
‘Cause we are the champions of the world

Russia - The Champion!
Igor

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic