Warbaron's Cup 2013

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

Re: Warbaron's Cup 2013

Postby piranha » Sun May 18, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm currently playing the one with towers and items in the center. I think that version have a lot of fun ideas such as cant produce flyers and seacreatures on start island and towers blocking the way between center cities. The only think I don't like is that there are too many good items in the center.
Looking at this one my first thought is perhaps the razed cities should provide more gold? Will anyone rebuild them now?
I see that there is no build limits now. Flyers and seacreature can be built on the main islands. I found it a bit interesting that you had to take the small islands to produce them. I like that the center isn't full of super items. Will be interesting to play this version of it.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Sun May 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Piranha,

The problem with the current rebuild process is it's 500 gold + 5* city income. So for me to make the income 60 gold it makes the rebuild cost 800 gold. That takes 13 turns to recover at 60 income per turn. That's before you even buy any units or increase the walls. It means a minimum outlay of 1000+ gold. Right now it's only going to cost 575 to rebuild before buying units/walls. So maybe 800 gold outlay. I wanted players to be able to afford to rebuild without needing a lot of gold. Plus you'll almost *have* to rebuild in order to take the 2 central cities which will have 5+ defenders in them since they are active and have high income to support a lot of defenders.

Also you can buy sea units. But you can't get them into the water anywhere EXCEPT those 8 central cites. So no one will buy them until they rebuild a city in the middle. This is another reason players will rebuild *if* they want sea units. If they don't they can ignore the middle and attempt to conquer the rest of the map before anyone else rebuilds the middle and fills the water with sea units.

But happy to increase the gold income from 15 to more if you think that will make a big difference on the rebuild decision.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm

I just put a look on copy.
Original version looks more interesting. There are many strategic plans are possible there. Good limit of production, no sea or flying units in native islands.
Some corrections to this map is possible but that's all that it need.
Firstly to make items weaker a little, with the same number of them. Or much to increase defenders in towers.
Also good idea to split average ruins far each other.
Fixing of start position also could be well.
In all other I find Colourful Snowflake as a wonderful map which doesn't need any radical changes.

Bad thing is to make clones of map.
If with 4 lords it was useful because old map probably will not be ever in use, but with Illuria by Ezras and by Darkh in doesn't look good.
Geography of a map should be unique.
That's possible to ask the author to take part in discussion of changes in his map. Fortunately Experix play now and perhaps will be able to speak about.
Igor

Postby Igor » Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 pm

I offer don't use for WBC a map which is currently in use in other tournament till all games on these maps will be completed there.
These maps are:
Battle Field
Colourful Snowflake
Airstream
Central Sahara

It's not good if the same map is in use in 2 different tournaments in the same time.
Igor

Postby KGB » Mon May 19, 2014 2:55 am

The problem is if I ignore those maps AND all the maps already used in WBC tourney (and any other tourney) I am not left with many choices.

It will have to be 150X maps which may drag the tourney on for many more months when played in 1v1 mode. Or I pick maps that aren't identical for all players (like European Theatre/Midguard etc) that can lead to bad start spots. The list of ladder maps is much smaller than you think as many maps are there more than once for different types of games.

The reason I adjusted this map was so that it would play differently from the current Colorful Snowflake and thus offer different strategies for players with the advantage that no one has experience playing on it so everyone starts off even in that respect.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Mon May 19, 2014 6:25 am

Ghm... how did you hope to find 3 maps if you're in trouble to choose one.
Igor

Postby KGB » Mon May 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I need at least 3 maps to finish the tourney. One for this round and one for semifinals and finals.

If I wanted to use 3 maps this round I'd need 5 total.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Semifinals and the final could contain 3 games each. If so, old maps could be in use, which were in previous rounds. Semifinalists will meet each other first time in the tournament that means they didn't play each other on maps from previous rounds.
Igor

Postby Igor » Wed May 21, 2014 9:04 pm

New Colourful Snowflake map is submitted.
Average ruins. guards of towers, start positions are changed.

KGB, when do you plan to fill tournament brackets in lobby.
Igor

Postby KGB » Thu May 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Igor,

The map has to be made a ladder map first. The current ladder version removed before I can start any games with it.

The items still aren't well guarded enough considering many of them are L3 items. If they were in a L3 ruin with just 2 Vampires or 3 Mummies you'd need 28 UL to reach 90% to get them. 28 UL is quite hard to get. These items should hard to get too. I'd add another Giant and a Unicorn to make 7 units there.

The other thing I would do is move a couple of the L1 ruins closer to the capitol cities like I did. Most can be reached on turn 1 but for a couple of start spots it takes till turn 2 or 3 to reach them. It's a minor adjustment but worthy of doing.

Then Piranha can approve both this and my version of the map so that players can play on either one in the future.

It's about to be a long weekend here in the US and I'll be going away for it. So likely games won't start till early next week.

KGB
KGB

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments