Warbaron's Cup 2013

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

Re: Warbaron's Cup 2013

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Unfortunately I can't make changes in the tournament.
All completed games are in the same place where ongoing games are.

Btw, when only 2 games are left to the end of 2nd round, may be it's time to define structure of 3rd round? How to know who will be in what group?
Igor

Postby KGB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Igor wrote:Btw, when only 2 games are left to the end of 2nd round, may be it's time to define structure of 3rd round? How to know who will be in what group?

How did you assign players in round 2 after round 1? I assume you took two 1st place finishers and two 2nd place finishers (from different brackets than the 1st place finishers) and put them in a bracket. I was planning on doing that and picking 1 player from each bracket so that you would not face anyone in round 3 that you played in round 2. So it would be something like Group A winner, Group B 2nd place, Group C winner, Group D 2nd place in one bracket and Group A 2nd place, Group B winner, Group C 2nd place and Group D winner in the other bracket.

Round 2 finished pretty quickly (3 months) so the map sizes I selected seem reasonable and so I was going to select maps roughly the same size for round 3. Did you like playing 3 different maps?

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm

KGB wrote:So it would be something like Group A winner, Group B 2nd place, Group C winner, Group D 2nd place in one bracket and Group A 2nd place, Group B winner, Group C 2nd place and Group D winner in the other bracket.

Looks normal for me.

KGB wrote:Round 2 finished pretty quickly (3 months)

Quickly if to look like a turtle does. ;)

KGB wrote:Did you like playing 3 different maps?

See no problem in this. Though I used single map in round 1st.
What kind of map it will be?
Igor

Postby KGB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Igor wrote:Quickly if to look like a turtle does. ;)

Slow and steady wins the race as the Hare found out :)

Igor wrote:See no problem in this. Though I used single map in round 1st.
What kind of map it will be?

Probably smaller maps than used in round 2. Or maps that are known to finish fairly quickly. I'm going away for 4 days but I'll take a close look again at the ladder maps when I return. Did you get the Colorful Snowflake map updated and back to ladder status?

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

KGB wrote:Did you get the Colorful Snowflake map updated and back to ladder status?

Yes. But it's in use in Grand Final, 3 games per each player will be on it in 2nd round.
Igor

Postby Igor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 am

KGB wrote:Round 2 finished pretty quickly (3 months)

Doesn't look like all's over.
I think last 2 games will be going on a month or two. Then it will be 120-150 days for round 2nd.
Igor

Postby Chazar » Thu May 15, 2014 12:02 pm

KGB wrote:Did you like playing 3 different maps?

No!

While I found all 3 maps equally nice, I found the first round with all games being played on the same map much more interesting, since one could compare all ongoing games, compare the different play styles and progress. It felt more Tournament-like, in the sense of competing on the same grounds. With three different maps, the tournament lost some of its identity for me.

It also leaves you wondering whether the outcome would be different if the maps would have been picked differently: For example, I feel strong on 4Lords and weak on 8Kingdoms and the games ended accordingly. So facing the same players on swapped maps might have given a different outcome, which feels weird to me as well.

In addition, it took me more time to complete my games, since two of the maps were entirely new to me. Focusing on one map per round would simplify this.

BTW, games of Warbarons Cup Round 2 are finished now.
Chazar

Postby KGB » Thu May 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Anyone else with an opinion on the 3 vs 1 map?

I'm currently looking at maps right now. I hope to be finished by the weekend.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Sat May 17, 2014 4:42 am

I should say something.
Single map for one round is more competitive and lets to compare all games each other.
Three maps give more fun and they also let to balance maps toward a player: single map may be too good or too bad for a player and three maps together are normal on the average.
However the other tournament where I set one map per one round is going very well and I can easy compare my games each other and with games of other players.
But this can give advantage to players who play slow and can study already completed games of opponents, but it can't mean much though.
Generally, I see no problems with playing on 3 different maps. However, in new tournaments I prefer one map per round.
Whatever map is choosen I would prefer to take time to study it before the tournament continues.
Igor

Postby KGB » Sun May 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Igor,

A good post comparing the advantages/disadvantages of using 1 map vs 3 maps.

Take a look at Unlimited Snowflake which I just submitted and let me know what you think. That's a map I want to use for the next round whether it's 1 or 3 maps.

KGB
KGB

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments