Tournaments

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

Re: Tournaments

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 pm

The map for 1st round is not too big and looks as good known; number of games is 2.
So, let the turn time be 2 days for 1st round. Then will see how it will work, for to define turn time for 2nd round.
Igor

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Game are created.
Everyone of participants can join and start to play in Grand Final.
Have fun!
Igor

Postby tabanli » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:01 am

After this 3 tournament ends, let's have a FFA tournament. We can have 8-16-24 players with fast setting forming groups of 8. There are several 8 player maps like 8 kingdom, illuria, west illuria, gargantuan, bullrun so everybody can start several games all at once. Winner of groups can be determined Olympic style. Winner of the map gets Gold, runner-up Silver and the third gets Bronze. One gold is better than 5 silver. If the golds are equal than look at silver than bronze than 4th etc.
tabanli

Postby Igor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Let's go, organize it. I may be join. Only don't wait till WC'13 will end, it looks will go too long.
Igor

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:33 pm

In the Battle Field Play-Off tournament, first semifinal Igor vs tabanli will contain 2 games, and if it will be 1:1 so third game will be started.
Because of this reason the semifinal will start earlier than the other one.
Igor

Postby Igor » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Last quarter-final pair has defined in the Battle Field Play-Off Tournament, Art vs AngryOgre.
Igor

Postby KGB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Igor,

For the next tournament can we have fewer brackets and more players per bracket. In your latest tourney we only get 2 games.

Both mine were decided before the players ever met:
- In my game with Tim, he resigned on turn 6 after losing some early heroes to cities/ruins so I never even saw any of his armies or cities!
- In my game with Angry Ogre it was my turn to have bad luck and I lost my 1st 2 heroes ON THE SAME RUIN (L2 killed 2 Rangers with 17 UL) so that on turn 10ish I had no heroes. I played on hoping he had similar bad luck but after meeting his forces it was clear he didn't so my game was lost long before we ever faced each other.

So for me the tourney was very unsatisfying as neither game was much fun / interesting.

With 12 players it would have been MUCH better to have 6 players per bracket so you play 5 games and then have just the top 2 players in each bracket move on. More games is better for interest and helps even out a really bad start by one player.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 am

KGB, there was a bad beat that you lost 2 heroes in the same ruin. I can understand this since I had such bad dice in one of my games where I lost 2 heroes in the same ruin in the same turn, one after other. Anyway looks like you have not so sad start having 1 win. You still have tie-break as the worst variant, because there is a chance when you will go on from 2nd place.

As much as I know many players prefer don't play too many games in the same time.
Optimal number of players in groups at my look is 4 with 3 games each. If group is as big as 6 players, each will have 5 games in the same time only for one tournament, plus games in one of other 2 tournaments, plus current ladder and non-ladder games. This could be too much for some players who wished to join.

This structure with 4 starting groups is good adaptable for wide row of players, from 12 to 20. For 16 players it would be 4 groups of 4, for 20 players it would be 4 groups of 5. In any case 2 players go farther from each group and next round includes 2 groups of 4.
Igor

Postby Igor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 am

There are first players who goes to 2nd round in Grand Final.
AngryOgre won last game in group D and after this AngryOgre has become the winner of group D, KGB took second place.
AngryOgre takes second position in group B in 2nd round, KGB takes 4th position in group A.
Igor

Postby Igor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Last game is completed in group A, round 1st in Grand Final.
ChickenChaser has become the winner of group A, Art took second place.
ChickenChaser takes first position in group A in 2nd round, Art takes 3rd position in group B.
Igor

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments