Tournaments

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

Re: Tournaments

Postby Igor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Nagrogin won last game in group C, round 1st in Grand Final, and have become the winner of the group. Tabanli took second place.
Nagrogin takes first position in group B in 2nd round, Tabanli takes 3rd position in group A.
All who already is in round 2nd are shown in the tournament table.
Igor

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm

1st round of The Grand Final tournament is going almost 2 months.
For don't prolong this round too far I set some minimum of game speed for last 2 games which are still on:
game B13, which has 20 completed turns now, should be at least at 28th turn till 15th of May;
game B23, which has 18 completed turns now, should be at least at 26th turn till 15th of May.
Otherwise the winner will be defined accordingly with advantage in number of saved aways at 15th of May.
Both games will be prolonged as usual ladder games anyway.
Igor

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 am

A new tournament is now opened - Airstream play-off. You may watch it in lobby Ladder / Tournament.
Players in 1/8 of the final (2nd round) are placed not quite the same as it will be. Exact pairs will be defined after all games in 1/16 of the final will be completed.
Igor

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Players will start Airstream tourney in different time, depending on date of registration in Warbarons:
14 players will play 1/16 of the final and 7 winners will go farther to 1/8;
9 players will start the tourney from 1/8 of the final.
Igor

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:46 pm

First finalist in Battle Field Play-Off tournament is defined, it's me.
Waiting for result of interesting battle Art vs Garesh.
Igor

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Last opened game in Airstream tournament is now started.
Crassus and Erotavlas didn't join the game long time, thus they were eliminated and FatsXL joined the tournament.
Also Gulgar, who joined and lost his game (to Gil) in the same day when it was opened, took second chance in game vs FatsXL.
Gil is in round 2nd.
Igor

Postby KGB » Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Igor,

Whomever fixed Colorful Snowflake (you or Experix) screwed it up for ladder play. The fact that 1v1 games can start next to each other is ridiculous. It means the player going 1st in such games gets a HUGE advantage because they land on the other players island first around turn 5.

This map shouldn't be ladder until that's fixed. There is no way I'd ever use this in the Warbarons tourney in it's current form.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 am

Ghm... I see no problem in this.
This even gives interest, player never knows where opponent will start and should be ready to meet him everywhere.

If you will wish to make some changes in the map you should ask Experix to share it.
Igor

Postby Igor » Sat May 03, 2014 10:10 am

KGB, I watched the reply and saw that you well knew from your battering ram that Tabanli goes to you.
But unfortunately for you Tabanli's pair of battering ram and minotaur on ships beated your hero group of barbarian with battering ram and scout in the sea while you should be had an advantage 70% or so.
Then you attacked with catapult to Tabanli's battering ram and lost again having advantage should be 80% or so. After that you surrendered, having all your cities and a lot of armies to continue.
Well, considering this game I can understand your emotions after two bad beats a row. Probably many players in this case may feel the same.
But even counting this I don't see a base for restarting the game. However as you said that you were chatting the game with Tabanli, then if you both are agree that the game should be reloaded I will create a new game for you.
Though both players should let me know of this till this Sunday.
Igor

Postby KGB » Sat May 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Igor,

It was turn 5 of the game! How can that be any kind of test of skill between players? We might as well have just flipped a coin to determine the winner except that player 1 gets a big advantage of moving first in such short games because they move/scout first.

I only discovered him on turn 4 and realized he was going to invade me the next turn so I *had* to move to defend myself or the game was over. As you note, I lost both battles. But there was no way for me to continue. It was a VERY low gold start (all we could buy on turn 1 was a scout as there was only 80 gold left after buying a hero) so I had only 300 gold at that point so I was not going to get another hero for at least 2 more turns. Plus with low gold start there is no way to buy any production and in case you haven't noticed, all the cities on the islands are active so that there are at least 2+ defenders in them. So with no heroes and no production how am I supposed to conquer any cities or continue with only crap armies? The game is lost.

KGB

P.S. Right now this map is sadly broken. It's a shame because it's nicely designed and used to be one of my favorites. But you can't reliably play on it now with the random starts and too many good items in the middle (half or more should be removed and put on the outer islands so it's not a middle race).
KGB

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments