Tourny for New Players (Need input from experienced players)

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

Tourny for New Players (Need input from experienced players)

Postby jetigig » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 pm

After seeing an influx of new players posting messages in the community chat looking for games and teams, I thought "Since they are all looking for games, why don't I organize a tournament for newer players to play against each other?"
I was also thinking maybe more experienced players could be on teams with the newer players to give advice? I don't know how that could be accomplished without the more experienced players defeating the purpose of the tournament.

Pros:
--New players find games against players on a similar skill level
--New players get to know each other and learn the game at the same time
--May lead to formation of new teams
--May increase these players' interest in the game, causing them to stick around longer/become regularly active

Cons:
--Players that lose interest may drop out mid-tourney
--I had more but I've forgotten them

New players: Would you be interested in such a tournament?
More experienced players: Pros or cons I've overlooked? What are your opinions?
jetigig

Re: Tourny for New Players (Need input from experienced players)

Postby gil » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:41 am

I remember my first 2 tourney let's not mention that again.

The game that made me figure out the basis of this game was a 4 VS 4 game that randomly included 1 expert and 3 noobs on each team.

I had a gold account so i could look at the fight and movement made by the expert on my team.

I think a non ladder random (evenly matched team) tourney is what you are looking for.
gil

Postby jetigig » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:35 pm

gil wrote:The game that made me figure out the basis of this game was a 4 VS 4 game that randomly included 1 expert and 3 noobs on each team.

Was that 4v4 game helpful for you? Do you think it would help other new players understand the game better? Did the expert player totally overrun the newbie(s) nearest to them?

gil wrote:I think a non ladder random (evenly matched team) tourney is what you are looking for.

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. However, I feel like 4v4 would be too big for someone that is just starting out. I could be wrong, but I think large games are paced too slowly for an introductory game (however after completing all the tutorials, a large game could be exactly what is needed). I feel like in a big game players would either lose interest if they don't come into contact with the other team quickly or they are lulled into a false sense of security by lack of enemy activity and expand too slowly.
jetigig

Postby gil » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:36 am

jetigig wrote:Was that 4v4 game helpful for you? Do you think it would help other new players understand the game better? Did the expert player totally overrun the newbie(s) nearest to them?

for me it was the one IDK on other new players but a gold account is a must to watch your teammates fight Mapname: DarkLand

you get about 10 turns to own your starting spot and then your go out side and the terrain mix the ruins and temples exists and the center has a fortified neutral castles.

there was 2 players one on each side who lost relatively fast about turn 20 and i had KGB on my side to learn from.

i think terrain, ambush and advantages and disadvantages of a hero stack can only be shown to understand and DarkLand will provide.

jetigig wrote:I feel like 4v4 would be too big for someone that is just starting out.

my first 10 PVP games was loss without a fight the other player felt sorry for me and took 80%.

i did figure out there was something in this game but didn't know what and watching replay has no meaning because i didn't understand what i was seeing i was looking for logic to unit properties where there was non.

i didn't care if game was big, small, slow, fast and i know i'm gonna lose the game i was just hoping to figure this out and maybe make just one good move.
gil

Postby KGB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Gil,

I remember that game. That is a good map to learn on because it's very slow paced. On the other hand nothing from a big map like that helps when moving to a small one.

Many (most?) of the 50x and 75x maps have well known opening moves much like chess. This often includes the hero buy. Once you've memorized those first 6-7 turns you have a chance to win on the map.

Larger maps tend to have more free play available to the players and doing something slightly different often isn't fatal because there is time to recover (hero offers, ruin searching, better production has time to be built in larger quantities etc).

KGB
KGB

Postby jetigig » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Sounds like DarkLand would be best. Now we just need some newplayers that would be interested and expert players to mentor them as they play.
I, for one, would be willing to take on the role of mentor but I'm not sure I qualify as a 'good player' and I know there are plenty of better candidates. If you would like to take on the role of 'experienced player' in one (or more?) of these games, please speak up.
jetigig

Postby jetigig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:57 am

If the tournament is set up with Darklands, should I edit the map so that there are no limits on production?
jetigig

Postby KGB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 am

By the time you edit the map and get it approved as a ladder map it will take a while.

Just leave it as it is.

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:51 pm

I think this is a great idea guys, I hope it goes well!
Moonknight

Return to Tournaments