1vs1 Super tour

Discuss ongoing tournaments and plans for new tournaments

1vs1 Super tour

Postby piranha » Mon May 04, 2015 3:46 pm

We are running another 1 vs 1 tournament and this time we are testing two features of the tournament system, prizes and double elimination.

There is a prize of about 210 Eur in bitcoins (1 bitcoin) spread over a lot of placings. Basically no one will make a large part of the pot but if you win 1 or 2 games you will make something and it's free to join so I hope we can get as many players as possible.
piranha
Site Admin

Re: 1vs1 Super tour

Postby KGB » Mon May 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Not sure you want to use Beleriand as a map in this tourney. There is no 1v1 setup defined so it's very likely there will be very unbalanced starts.

KGB
KGB

Postby Chazar » Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 am

I was looking at this tournament, and I had no clue what "Rake" or "GiveAway" or "mXBT" meant, and I just saw the word "Money" in a few places, but no explicit mention of any fees or liabilities incurred by joining. This scared me away, since someone giving away free money on the internet is usually a trap.

So if you do this as a promotion, then the tournament page should make this more clear to attract more people. I guess many people will miss this forum post, but notice the big golden cup and click on it, being led to the tournament page which does not explain itself too well.
Chazar

Postby Igor » Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 am

When I put a look on the tournament page I also couldn't understand all at the moment. But at the second look it had become more clear:
Member requirement: free - means free joining
Give away: 1000 mXBT( EUR) - looks like money prise for winners
Rake: 15% - looks like size of comission which winners should pay off from got prise
Chazar, you may free join and enjoy.
Igor

Postby piranha » Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am

About the map beleriand, I picked it because it is new and it's fun to mix in a couple of new maps with the old ones I think. I studied it for a while and it looks like it could be balanced even if it's not very symmetric. I could replace it with something else if people prefer that. Since it's double elimination there is at least some saft net in case you get really unlucky on some map.

Chazar, good input. I've tried to be clear with the information. As Igor posted it might look confusing first but I think most of the needed info is there if you look it through. Any ideas on how I could make it even more clear? What would make you more comfortable?
As you say free things online are usually not so free. In this case it is free, and yes I'm doing a try to get some attention to warbarons with the tournament.

Price is awarded in bitcoin, usually called BTC but to be correct any non country issued form of money should use X as the first letter XAU for gold for example. So mXBT is milli bitcoin.
Rake is a term in poker, basically the house is taking a percentage of the pot.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm

My only problem with Beleriand is the Blue/Cyan start spots are so close. If a game happens to use those 2 start spots then the player going first can potentially raze the other players capitol on their turn 3 if the start units include a Wizard or they build a crow. If those 2 spots were prevented from being chosen I wouldn't object to this map (ie make those 2 spots for player 1 and set the other to to 'random' player so that Blue&Cyan can't be used but any other starting combination would be valid).

KGB
KGB

Postby Chazar » Wed May 06, 2015 12:44 pm

piranha wrote:Chazar, good input. I've tried to be clear with the information. As Igor posted it might look confusing first but I think most of the needed info is there if you look it through. Any ideas on how I could make it even more clear? What would make you more comfortable?
As you say free things online are usually not so free. In this case it is free, and yes I'm doing a try to get some attention to warbarons with the tournament.

My point had been precisely that while dedicated players like myself can work it out by themselves, an advertisement usually works better if everything is immediately clear to each and every dumb and lazy person that might come across it.
;)

On how to improve:
1. I found "Member requirement: free" confusing, since there could be two requirements. You might want to restrict some tournaments to Gold and/or Silver members, and you might also have tournaments where everyone must pay an entry fee. Both are independent, so there should be two distinct fields: "Minimum Membership Requirement: " and "Tournament Entry Fee:" (or whatever the correct term is for the initial money in such a prize tournament). (Even if you don't plan one of those functionalities yet, having both fields would avoid the confusion.)
(Furthermore unclear: do tournament game count towards a free player's available 3 game slots - the premium features page does not yield an answer)

2. Maybe split the tournament info box into two parts, one concerned with dates, aways, game setup, maps, membership level, etc; and one exclusively with money matters, such as prizes, rake, entry fee

3. If this is a "give away" tournament, then why is there a rake >0 at all? After looking it up, the "rake" did not make sense to me if the tournament was free & give away. Now I guess that you just want to test your code out in the wild with as much functionality enabled as possible, but others might find this supicious.
Chazar

Postby KGB » Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Question for whomever is running it.

Since it's a double elimination tourney are you matching winners vs winners to eliminate players quicker?

1) Round 1: 58 players with 0 losses so you have 29 games.
2) Round 2: 58 players left with 29 at 1-0 and 29 at 0-1. Winners face off so you get 14 games of winners (28 players), 14 games of losers (29 losers) and 1 mixed game (winner vs loser)
3) Round 3: 7 players eliminated (loser games) possibly 8 (mixed game) so 51 or 50 players left. Again winners face off so you have 7 games of 2-0 players. Then everyone else is 1-1 so they face off with potential bye players if you have odd numbers.
4) Round 4: repeat.

This eliminates the most number of players each round.

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Mon May 18, 2015 6:44 pm

KGB, it doesn't look like that is the case. I think it filled out the bracket randomly as if there were 64 individuals, so then some folks got a first round bye.

This is probably the easiest to code without having to do manual work to setting up the matches.
Moonknight

Postby KGB » Mon May 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Moonknight,

I just looked at the bracket.

It looks like there is a loser side and a winners side. So that after game 1, if you lose you are out regardless of which side you are on. That's not what I consider a double elimination tourney because you should have to lose twice to be out.

So the best strategy would be to lose game 1 and take on weaker players in the losing bracket since you'll avoid playing all the best players who are in the winners side...

KGB
KGB

Next

Return to Tournaments