One turn duration

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

One turn duration

Postby Zajoman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi there, guys.

I always loved Warlords series, especially DLR, but I'm completely new to this remake, and a few things confuse me quite a bit. And I cannot find any source of basic information on how the game is played, what it's all about etc.

First, I don't quite get one turn duration. Will one turn always take from 1 to x days, or do you plan to make it possible to host/join games where players take turns one after another, sitting there for the whole duration of the game? I mean I'd rather focus fully on one game at a time played at a high pace than on several games played every here and there.

I've just checked the Beta 3 screen shots and they're great. I'm starting to like this project. By the way, if you think you could use some help regarding English (strings, text stylistics, etc.), I'm here for you.
Zajoman

Re: One turn duration

Postby piranha » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Hello!

The game will get better documentation and we are changing details here and there too to make it easier for new players particular those who never played warlords before with every beta.

But right now the victory condition is conquer 70% of all cities.

The turn only take as long as it takes for people to do their turn. The 1-5 days is the max time someone have before the they missed to do their turn.
If all the players are quick at doing their turns even 8 player games can go quite fast.

The thing is that playing one game in one sitting have some problems if you consider 6+ players who take about 2-5 minutes doing their turn but also the fact that someone may not notice that its their turn until another 5 minutes have passed. It may take around 30 minutes before its your second turn. People live in different timezones, some people don't have as much time as other and so on.

I've seen 1v1 games where 15 turns happen in one day so it is possible.

We have some ideas that we plan to do later where the game will play faster.

About the language, help is absolutely appreciated. At this point we are still adding so many words all the time so there is no point in bothering about it but later when the main part of the game is in place it would be great with help.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Zajoman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Thank you for a quick answer, piranha.

Well, I understand now. A bit. :) It's that I've had no luck so far to get into any actual game, so I have no idea how the game is played, mainly how the turns go. I mean, technically, other than that I know Warlords quite well.

Okay, so when you feel you need help with texts, let me know. :)
Zajoman

Postby KGB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Zajoman,

I'm on vacation the next few days. But once I return on Monday I'll get into a game with you if you still haven't found enough games to satisfy your needs.

KGB
KGB

Postby Zajoman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 am

I have just entered one, finally. :) Thanks anyway.
Zajoman

Postby Zajoman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:24 am

Okay, so I must take back what I said about my understanding of Warlords. I only roughly understand how DLR and W4 work, but not Warlords 2 which this game is mostly based on.

Do all units have 2 HP?
Zajoman

W2

Postby kenc80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Zaj - for my money, W2 is one of the greatest strat games ever made. Love the simplicity of it. Its the best IMO. I know others here will disagree with me. Anyways, theres all sorts of different HP. Just fight a bit and you'll get the hang of it. The warpedia does a good job of explaining how the HP works. I think we're in the same game, if so...see you soon! :D
kenc80

Postby Zajoman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:11 pm

All sorts of different HP? I have conquered 4 cities so far and all units (both neutral and mine) had 2 hit points. Also, there is no HP attribute listed in the Warpedia units entry, so I suppose it just does not exist, because I think it would be an extremely important attribute to calculate with when going into battles. In Warlords 3, units have the Hits attribute, ranging from 1 to 4. This number makes a rather big difference. But I suppose in W2 (and in this game) it's just flat 2 set for all units when a fight begins, right? I understand that it's to control the luck factor more (the higher the HP (if equal for both attacker and defender), the higher the chance for the unit with more strength to win a combat).
Zajoman

Postby kenc80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm

oh yeah, that - yeah. thought you were referring to strength. my bad.
kenc80

Postby Zajoman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Ah, okay, thank you. Anything else would confuse me. :)
Zajoman

Next

Return to Game discussion