How it works

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

How it works

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

I just attacked with young paladin and orc on the opponent's orc, and my orc used ambush to kill opponent's orc.
My orc had +6 ambush, opponent's one had the same. How it works when both sides have ambush ability? Why my orc used ambush against the unit with the same ambush?
Igor

Re: How it works

Postby Chazar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:15 pm

I thought it is opposed rolls, like normal battle: both units make their ambush roll. If both succeed OR if both fail, normal battle begins. If one unit succeeds while the other fails their ambush roll, then the failing unit dies.

So one orc rolled below 6, while the other one rolled above 6 with their 100-side dice.

EDIT: Pressing the info button after a battle pretty much confirms this, though I have not seen what happens if both units succeed their ambush roll - but this is rare, as it can only happen at the very beginning of a battle.
Last edited by Chazar on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chazar

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 pm

As I remember, in Warlords assasinate worked another way not as a battle. If two units have assasinate skill then firstly we calculate difference between their assasinate value and if result is not null then we try make assasinate for unit that have bigger value. So if both units have the same value there could not be ambush.

BTW I think we need some different graphics for ambush when it works to differ it from usual strike.
Solo

Postby Chazar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Solo wrote:BTW I think we need some different graphics for ambush when it works to differ it from usual strike.
Well, there is already a different graphic: a successful ambush turns the unit directly into a skull, without displaying the blood splash that a usual hit does display. However, a more verbose method (like the dagger in warlords) would be nice.
Chazar

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I also thought that only difference means, and if ambush the same this means there is no ambush at all.
There was a good surprise when my orc killed opponent's orc. That was the reason of the question.
But may be Piranha or Snotling explain how it realy is, just to make clear what of 2 methods works
Igor

Postby KGB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Chazar has it correct.

I thought it is opposed rolls, like normal battle: both units make their ambush roll. If both succeed OR if both fail, normal battle begins. If one unit succeeds while the other fails their ambush roll, then the failing unit dies.

KGB
KGB

Postby LPhillips » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:58 am

It is a superior method as currently implemented. Opposing ambush values and then calculating the difference has the adverse effect of causing slightly higher ambush levels to completely dominate lesser ones. So (imo) Piranha has made a good call here. Opposing and nullifying produces bizarre results, just as opposing Leadership values and only applying the difference would yield strange and invalid battle results.
LPhillips

Postby Igor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:21 pm

KGB wrote:Chazar has it correct.

KGB

Now it's clear, ok
Igor

Postby Finite » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

Neutral units don't seem to apply their ambush values, not even to prevent them from being killed by opposing ambush. Is this intentional?
Finite

Postby KGB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Finite,

Yes. This allows my Barbarian to rampage through Orc/Wolfrider/Ghost neutrals with no fear of losing his life :D

KGB
KGB

Next

Return to Game discussion