The Paladin

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Re: The Paladin

Postby tabanli » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:07 pm

I rarely take him as the first hero or use as my primary hero is be cause of my personal game style. Basically I think faster is much better than stronger. I don't even like Barbarians 14 moves and I wish I could afford to get him moves early in the game, if the map is large enough, sometimes I do.

But a lot of people take Paladin as their first hero and they do fine with him. They use leadership to back up Barbarian to reach his full potential while being able to search for ruins. Or they use him with Assasin. I have seen slow and deadly Paladin-Assasin-Catapult-Medusa-Wolfe Rider with Spiders or Elements. You may later upgrade it with Red-Devil-Archon.

Again, I am a Paladin user and I never get to a point of complain be cause of him maxing out. I just think his slow and I don't take him first.

When we were playing Warlords early version before teleport, almost everybody had some version of Thief-Ranger-Shaman-Priest. Thief Ranger providing speed and Shaman-Priest providing power spell. With Teleport came the variety. Still Wizard, Summoner and Alchemist became primary heroes (the hero you want to start with and want to level up) and while the others became secondary. With KGB's K4 patch and Stormheim Units it changed again. But there are always primary heroes and secondary heroes.

So my point is, it is not a shame to be a secondary hero.
tabanli

Postby magian » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Well...

In Warlords 3, some heroes may indeed have been more desirable than others. However, every warlords 3 hero could become very powerful if they got to the higher levels. Without Items, the warbarons paladin just can't. Sure, +10 leadership is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the dreadknight's 18 chaos or the assassin's stack ambush.

I don't think any hero should max out as quickly as the paladin does. I'm not a big fan of heroes maxing out at all actually. I would much rather just see higher levels require larger and larger amounts of experience until they are nearly impossible. We should also always have something useful to spend those hero points on. Leveling up heroes is one of the fun parts of the game, and I always feel a bit cheated if I have to spend my hero's hard-earned points on some useless upgrade.

As KGB pointed out above, the assassin has a number of advancement routes to chose from. They can go for personal ambush to take out neutrals and lone enemies, they can get the chaos bonus vs cities, or they can take group ambush. The horse lord and ranger have choices too. Do I want my horse lord to rule the open, or do I want that speed boost? Why can't the paladin (and valkyrie) have another viable route? I think they should, especially the paladin because his stack boost caps out so quickly.
magian

Postby Moonknight » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:12 am

We just need to get the skill trees in effect...
Moonknight

Postby Versace » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 pm

I agree that the paladin is just useless now for the reasons mentioned. I didn't think it was one of the best heroes before but I did occasionally chose him. Now I don't have a single paladin in any of my games
Versace

Postby Versace » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:37 pm

I would like to see the leadership max out at 20 as it did before. Even further I would like the scout not having the 1ul, that would increase paladin's value as a ruin searcher. Also I feel stupid spamming scouts for ruin searching.
Versace

Postby kenc80 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Versace - I would like to see the leadership max out at 20 as it did before.

I wholeheartedly agree...at least 16!
kenc80

Previous

Return to Game discussion