Game of money with bitcoins?

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Re: Game of money with bitcoins?

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 am

Bitcoin reminded me russian stock company MMM, whose stocks had grouth over 100% a year. When prise of one stock became too big, they started to sell a little parts of stock, which they called tickets. Such grouth was based on newcomers, and in 1994-th when new money stopped to come into the system, MMM stopped paying.
Big grouth of bitcoin (from 0.05 to 230 usd) and falling (from 230 to 75) makes bitcoin looking like something having danger to be finished, for my look. But I don't know much about it, may be somebody who knows more, can tell something.
Igor

Postby Moonknight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Not for me...how many people really want this?

I can understand that Igor would like having it, but i'd never get in a money matchup 1v1 against him, and i doubt very many other people would as well.

I'm guessing the option would not be used very often...
Moonknight

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Moonknight, for unknown reasons you don't play ladder games without money as well.
These games may be very good for players who wish to raise own raiting in our community. Also it's very usefull to interest new players.
Some veterans, who showed good results in 1 or 2 previous seasons, don't play now. Probably they already got what they want and have no stimulus to play more. Games on credits/warcoins can give them such stimulus, and may be they will play again.
I many times saw that new player dropped a game after 1 or 2 turns. In game on credits/warcoins no one probably will not leave his game so early, and game will be interesting.
Some comission payments from every game will be a little reward for HUGE job of game developers, who make so much for let all us to play such very interesting game. Taking place in game on credits/warcoins, you may be sure that a part of bet will be gotten by game developers, of course.
Igor

Postby Moonknight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 pm

I play mostly team games, but with the matchmaking in place, I do plan on playing more 1v1 ladder games.

I don't have any problem with this feature being added, I just wonder if it will really be used enough to justify the work needed to get it set up.
Moonknight

Postby piranha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 am

Been thinking about that too. Perhaps no one will use it. We spent quite a lot of work on real time game mode but there are quite few games played in that mode so obviously not the thing everyone playing right now wanted. However our goal is to expand the number of players since that could bring in some more income and make this game break even. To do that I think we need to attract a new crowd. Most players here played Warlords back in the day and we are not teenagers any more :-). The difference with young people is that they talk to friends and make them play games they enjoy while we are happy just doing a couple of turns in our favourite game between work and dinner with little interest in trying to show all our friends or work colleges what we play.
There may be several ways to break into a new crowd/market of people, I have other ideas, another one being to create a really fun and good campaign with compelling story. Obviously another one is to bring the version to APP store for iOS and Android and I think that is what we are going to work on next.
There is a pro-gaming community for real time strategy games that is big and I think Warbarons could be fun for many of those people if they only gave it enough chance and that is one of the reasons why I think it could be a idea to have games for money. I always wished for games about money back when I played Starcraft 1 so it's something I would like to see and play even if it's just me and Igor exchanging money :-D. Making it possible to play about money is smaller amount of work compared to make a APP or campaing so it's worth discussing and thinking about.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby magian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Trying out different angles to bring in new players seems smart to me. No one would be forced to bet on games, so I can't see how it would hurt. I might even bet on a game or three.

Piranha, if you want any help with creating a campaign, I'd be happy to pitch in. Maybe a few of us could brainstorm and cook up a compelling narrative.

Of course I would rather see a questing system than a gambling system. Or, maybe even a magic system one day?
magian

Postby piranha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Magic system is on the list with many fun ideas which includes a update of the hero bonus system too. But we have to focus on things that could draw new players and many of the fun ideas we have are good for people who already play but not something that would bring in new players.
Same with quest system. I wrote down ideas from another thread but also something that wont attract new players.

I really hope a App could bring new people but I also think campaign is going to be quite important for an app.
Help with narrative and story is very welcome. I tried to get a discussion going about a year ago without success but perhaps we should start out private and post a idea and others can join on that. I'll drop you a private msg.

The good thing I see with money games is that is less work compared to app and campaign.
piranha
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Game discussion