Realtime game input

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Re: Realtime game input

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm

tabanli wrote:Have you checked what happens when a player hits move all (or move just one unit) right before the turn ends) and his move is into a city. How does the server handles the captured city mode?

As realtime games increase, think we will see a lot of last second move all commands and sometimes the units will bump into each other.

That the turn can end with a city in "conquer" mode is nothing new, but I guess it might happen more frequently in realtime mode. :-)
In that case the city will be "occupied" by the player at endturn by the server. So Raze/plunder options are missed.
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

piranha wrote:1. Breaks. This is something I've thought about too since real time games can take a while too if you play bigger games and you may have to answer the telephone or do something for a few minutes. On poker tournaments they have automatic breaks for all players every 30 minutes or something like that. Is that better, or would it be better that all players have a pot of minutes to use, so anyone may click pause and all players would enter pause mode and you can see "Tabanli clicked pause, pause time remaining 2:54" and a countdown. Then the pause would have to be for 2:54 so you cant start earlier because someone else might take the chance to do something too in those minutes.

I would suggest having the 'pause' mode button rather than set break intervals like poker. I can't always be sure when the Pizza guy will arrive at the door or my girlfriend starts demanding I do some task like take out the garbage 'right now' :shock:

I don't think you need a pot of minutes though. Simply an option for 'pause' at the end of each turn. With a pause being 3 or 4 minutes in length. Since it has to be manually activated at the end of the turn it can't be overly abused to delay games forever.

piranha wrote:Also in warlords "move" order is different from "attack" order so there is less problem. In Warbarons they are the same so this gives rise to other problems with "move all". In this scenario you cant even have time for hero level up pop-up screen or city capture mode. And this will happen every single turn. What may help is if players can set a default for hero level up or city capture.

The move all is sort of flawed. Any pop-up cancels the entire sequence of moves and forces clicking the 'move all' button again. So exposing an enemy unit in the fog of war, converting to/from a ship, capturing a city, leveling up a hero etc. Any of these things stops the sequence. This means it's not quite as powerful as one might hope because attempting to move lots of units almost always results in a pop-up unless you've turned off the option for 'pause on view enemy (neutral and other player)'.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Is only 30 seconds of freeze time between turns, or also 10 seconds is when a player ended his turn earlier?
Igor

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Igor wrote:Is only 30 seconds of freeze time between turns, or also 10 seconds is when a player ended his turn earlier?

I have changed it, so it is only 30 seconds freezetime for all players after the last player has pressed turn. So the new turn will start at the same time for all players.
SnotlinG

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Piranha! Thanks SnotlinG! Great there is only 30 seconds freeze time.
Igor

Previous

Return to Game discussion