Starting Units in Beta3

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Starting Units in Beta3

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm on my 3rd game now and I have a couple of observations about the new starting units concept. Twice I've bought a hero on turn 1 and once I didn't and used the extra gold for better production.

Things I like:
I like the idea of getting multiple units (3 or 4) to start.
I like the idea of getting initial gold to buy a hero/production as the player wishes.

Things I don't like:
I don't like the idea that it's really biased towards spending 500 on the hero (because you get an extra unit - the hero and because Piranha raised the minimum gold cost for a hero from 200 to 350).
I don't like the idea that the amount of gold left to spend virtually always is used to buy the best available unit (Giant in a medium income and Pegasi in a high income).

So instead what I'd propose is that you:

1) Set the initial number of armies for all players to 1-2 instead of 3-4.
2) Allow the player to buy the hero for 500.
3) Allow the player to buy production. With the difference being that each production unit you buy immediately adds 1 unit of that type to your initial starting armies.

Now you can potentially buy 4 extra units on turn 1 if instead of spending your gold on the best unit (Giant or Pegasi) you buy a bunch of low/average units . You also are now not penalized for not buying a hero on turn 1 because if you instead buy a Pegasi (as I did) you'd get a Pegasi on turn 1 instead of having to wait till turn 4 to get your first Pegasi.

I think this will produce a much bigger variation of initial spending of the gold. Because right now it's pretty much going to be Hero + Giant (Hv Calv) production on medium incomes and Hero + Pegasi production on high incomes.

KGB
KGB

Re: Starting Units in Beta3

Postby Pillager » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:08 pm

I quite like these ideas, I think they might work nicely....

But, you have to be careful that you don't end up penalizing those who choose to take a hero, by favoring large starting armies.

I suppose 500 doesn't go that far when buying production (a light cav and heavy inf), so it seems like a hero will still be a solid choice.

Buying a starting hero also opens the door for unbalanced heroes....do you take the crappy cheap hero or the expensive powerhouse? At the moment the dreadknight seems to be a cut above (+1 attack is so very useful) and might rate a higher purchase cost.
Pillager

Re: Starting Units in Beta3

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Good feedback.
We wont add this to Beta3 though as the launch is imminent :-)

What we have done is randomize starting res to between 500 and 1700 in all games. This should open up for a little bit more of variety until we can put some real work on the starting units area :)
SnotlinG

Return to Game discussion