Eye of KGB in Team Play...

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Eye of KGB in Team Play...

Postby Moonknight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

If my team member has the Eye of KGB, is there a way for me to see inside ruins as well?

If so, how?

If not, should there be?

Thanks!
Moonknight

Re: Eye of KGB in Team Play...

Postby magian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Your team member could just look at the ruin and tell you the contents... so, you might as well be able to see into the ruin as well. However, I think this item is a bit too good for team play (especially 3v3 or 4v4). My reasoning is that a 3-member team can scout out half the ruins on the map in the first 3 or 4 turns. They can then go and grab the allies with heroes of the minimum level. Seems a bit much to me.
magian

Postby Moonknight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Never mind, it does work for all team members. I didn't know the ruins had to be in sight for fog of war games.
Moonknight

Postby tabanli » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:49 pm

magian wrote:Your team member could just look at the ruin and tell you the contents... so, you might as well be able to see into the ruin as well. However, I think this item is a bit too good for team play (especially 3v3 or 4v4). My reasoning is that a 3-member team can scout out half the ruins on the map in the first 3 or 4 turns. They can then go and grab the allies with heroes of the minimum level. Seems a bit much to me.

I agree that it is the best L1 item in team play, much better than a lot of L2 items too. But there is simply no way around it. If only the owner sees the ruins instead of teammates, than he can just write it up as notes and send it to the teammates, so what's the difference?
tabanli

Postby KGB » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I see 2 potential changes if this is really that unbalancing (which I am not convinced it is because even if you get the item early on it still requires heroes to visit ruins with allies in them which may not be in convenient locations and you have no idea which ally you might get).

1) Since team games are fixed from the start, the Eye of KGB could be designated a L2 item in team games and remain a L1 item in regular games.
2) Since team games are fixed from the start, the Eye of KGB could be never placed in a ruin at the start of the game and only be available as an item in a ruin respawn. That will keep it from being in play in the early game.

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 pm

While it does seem like a powerful item in team games if found early on, the chances of it even being on a map are small. The biggest advantage is when you come across ruins with allies in them, and those are sparse.

I think it adds a fun dimension to the game and why does everything need to be 100% fair every game?
Moonknight

Postby tabanli » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Eye of KGB is really critical for L3 ruins. Most people have Ranger-Paladin or Assassin with Ghost and they go for L2 ruins anyway. And getting one unicorn, medusa, ghost for free is not really game changing. However getting a Devil-Red Dragon-Great Archon is really critical early in the game. Maybe we can restrict eye of KGB to L2 ruins. It still provides +2 UL so it is still a good item.

I just got a Great Archon and I am very happy. How happy am I? Happier than the guitarist dudes at Geico commercial.
tabanli

Postby Chazar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

In addition, gaining L3-ruin XP with an L3 hero seems pretty big to me.

I think the best fix would be that ruins with allies inside also have guardians just like all other ruins.

In a recent team game on Midgard we could quickly level our heroes with L3 ruins having allies - the heroes had just their basic UL! I believe that this would be quite sensible in any case.
Chazar

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:47 pm

We are investigating to add undead guardians to Ruins that contain allies.
I.e. we change the logic so that allies is a type of reward instead of a type of special ruin.
So all ruins will have undead guardians, and the treasure can then differ between:
gold, item, gold+item, or allies.

Anyone see any reason for not implementing this change?
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Nope. In fact you could add low level allies to L1 ruins now too.

Just let me know when you do and any other changes to make to ruins (ie ally rewards etc) so I can update the Wiki. I know some of the popups when you click still show wrong info (20 sided dice, incorrect potential guardians etc).

KGB
KGB

Next

Return to Game discussion