Random hits instead of assigned order?

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Random hits instead of assigned order?

Postby TalonThorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Have the designers considered having the hits applied randomly instead of in a set order controlled by the player?

As it is right now, there is not really a concept of cannon fodder units. A weak unit has to be combined in the attack by being put in the front line in order to be used as fodder. That means the attacker gains a very small chance of success from the units, and the big gun doesn't come into play until the weak units are dead (depending upon player lineup, of course).

I would like to see the hits randomly applied, with weighting toward weaker units (attack value doubles as chance to avoid being the ONE that is hit). This actually makes more intuitive sense (all units attack, this isn't a corridor in a dungeon!).

Such a change in combat calculations would 1) eliminate the need for player lineup of units, 2) make a combat simulator much less useful, 3) still retain the strategy over luck design of the game (win with overwhelming odds, take your chances if you have less than ideal numbers). It also makes the low level units quite useful in the late game.
TalonThorn

Re: Random hits instead of assigned order?

Postby tabanli » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 pm

There was similar requests before. I remember someone saying units gets stronger as they have one hit left, they are fighting for their lives etc. I am always favoring making the game less complicated to get mass appeal.
tabanli

Re: Random hits instead of assigned order?

Postby magian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Cannon fodder units are (kinda) represented already. Units that provide stack bonuses can make those weak front line units stronger. And ghosts and assassins give any piddly unit a chance to flat out kill an enemy. Sure, it's pretty abstract but it is there (if you squint your eyes and turn your head sideways). :lol:
magian

Return to Game discussion