Feedback on new tutorial

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Feedback on new tutorial

Postby piranha » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:25 pm

One of the new updates in the latest version is a scripted tutorial that we created as a more interesting tutorial alternative to the old ones. It would be nice with some feedback on it.
It can probably be broken by not doing what the tutorial says but thats not the main problem. The important thing is that you can learn how to play and not be too bored.

It's listed at the top of tutorials.
piranha
Site Admin

Re: Feedback on new tutorial

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Just found and fixed an annoying bug on the last triggers in the tutorial, so now it should work properly.
Dont miss the chance to try out the new cool overlay-system, or the mapslides... :-)
SnotlinG

Postby Chazar » Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 pm

I tested the new tutorial and it is truly nice! Well done!

However, I did crash at the end. I did not yet attempt to reload the page, so that you can have a look at it. I don't think I was at a stage where a trigger should have occurred.
Chazar

Postby Oasis77 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 am

Recently joined and went through the first tutorial, it took awhile but it was fun enough to make me interested in the game. The other tutorials are useful, but are a bit on the dull side. Currently finishing the challenges.
Oasis77

Postby Moonknight » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 pm

I like the new "starting" tutorial, but I wonder if the scripts should last even longer.

It took me about 16 turns to get through the tutorial, I would imagine it'd take about 30 turns for someone brand new. That might be a little long for the 'first' exposure to the game :?:
Moonknight

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 am

Yea, we wanted it to be both scripted to teach the basics, and then also to allow freedom (and experience the game a bit more) to test it vs AI opponents. But maybe we tried to both have the cookie and eat it :-)
We are always trying to improve the game/tutorials, and might be adding some more scripted parts.
Any ideas/suggestions are welcome...
SnotlinG

Postby Moonknight » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 pm

The best way to learn is to have human trainers, a 2v2 with a trainer and noob vs 2 AI with FOW turned off.

Could have volunteers for trainers for beginners that would cover the basics for free, and then if they want more advanced training, maybe they could pay trainers in credits?

I'd volunteer for training, but we'd need a good pool of folks for it to work, maybe 10-15.

Maybe add this as an option on the Tutorial page?
Moonknight

Postby Chazar » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 am

I let my son play the tutorial and observed. My son just completed his first year at school, so he can read german and some english texts, but he is often too lazy and just tries things. Nevertheless, my observations might be useful.

Furthermore, he played on an Android Google Nexus 10 Tablet.

He followed only a part of the scripting: after killing the neutral units with his Paladin, he went to pick up the two items lying around, and then captured the city southeast of the starting city. This caused the scripting to become confused. Is this expected?

It was actually quite bad, with some pop ups and highlighting being totally unrelated to what he did, once the highlight was around empty space.

2.After killing the neutral units he was convinced that his Paladin was a strong unit and attacked a neutral orc guarding a gas extractor. He was lucky, but what would have happened if he would have been unlucky?
Chazar

Postby gil » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:57 pm

wow piranha great work nice tutorial coding :)
gil

Return to Game discussion