path through terrain bonus

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

path through terrain bonus

Postby kenc80 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

this one has been bugging me for a while but recently i had a fight with a guy that had 5 lt cav on a road in a swamp and I attacked with 5 orcs. I was wiped out completely and later realized i didnt get my swamp bonus at all.

It would seem to me that the road through the forest or through the swamp or through the hills should be a bonus situation for elves, orcs and dwarves respectively.

Given this, im going to start buying more lt cav!
kenc80

Re: path through terrain bonus

Postby piranha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Its like you are suggesting, but take a close look at the road. If it looks the same as on open terrain its in fact open terrain (forest may end on each side making it look as if the road is in the forest). A road in forest looks more like a dirt road instead of stone.
We should probably put something at the bottom where the terrain is stated so players can be sure what terrain it is.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

As Piranha says, you do get the bonus in the terrain.

Roads in swamps look like wooden planks. That tells you that you get the swamp bonus there and not the open bonus.

Part of the confusion is the bleeding of terrain features from one square into another so that it's not always easy to see the edges of terrain (on many maps you can find open squares in the middle of forests. I can never tell if those are by design or that someone missed those squares when creating the map). It would be REALLY handy if there was a button that when toggled would overlay the map with a grid (like the map editor has) and show what the terrain in each grid was (small letters at the bottom of the square saying open/forest/hills etc).

KGB
KGB

Postby Blomkvist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

piranha wrote:We should probably put something at the bottom where the terrain is stated so players can be sure what terrain it is.

It already says "road through forest" and similar when appropriate.
Blomkvist

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Yes, the onmouseover will tell you what kind of road it is, I added that a long time ago :D
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Snotling,

Yes it does say that.

Problem is when I am plotting a long move path and want to be sure my units end up on a square I get a bonus / avoid a square where my enemy gets a bonus I often have to mouse over multiple squares to see 'is this square safe'. That is a pain.

If you had a grid option, I'd have it turned on 100% of the time simply because I find edges of terrain hard to determine so that quite often it's one more square than expected to reach something.

KGB
KGB

Return to Game discussion