Ambush and Ward

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Ambush and Ward

Postby Zywus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I recently was about to attack a castle containing some heroes.

I send in a sacrificial scout as people often do, in order to check if I could take on the defenders.
In the following battle, the defenders side is shown to have +70 ambush.

As my true attack included a ranger with 70 group ward I thus felt safe placing my barbarian to the front, trusting he wouldn't be assasinated. He also had items taking his personal ward even further above 70. (in hindsight I realize it was still a gamble since once he got to the assassin hero, he'd face potentially a lot of ambush above 70 due to the assassins personal ambush skill, but that's not important in this example)

I attacked, and my Barbarian is promptly ambushed on the second enemy, a mage! A troop with no innate ambush. The defenders is now shown to have 21% ambush, despite my 70 ward.

How come the first attack showed only 70% ambush, when the true value for regular troops was apparently 91%?
Zywus

Re: Ambush and Ward

Postby Moonknight » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:07 am

Hi Zywus, you are calculating Ward incorrectly. It applies a percentage to the ambush, so if ambush is 70 and you have 70 ward, you are taking away 70% of the 70 ambush, thus the 21% ambush that you are witnessing.

~Moonknight
Moonknight

Postby Zywus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:53 pm

I see. Thank you for the explanation.

That would mean one is never completely safe from being assasinated by even a lowly orc, unless one have at least 100% ward.

What happens if someone with 100% ward meet someone with more than 100% ambush? Mathematically, all the ambush should be removed so I guess that's what happens.
Zywus

Postby Chazar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, and no.

The game limits certain values, e.g. strength can never be higher than 75. Similarly for Ambush and Warding.

I am not sure I tracked this correctly through all updates, but I believe:

1. There is no cap for personal ambush; values over 100% help against an enemy with warding.
2. Group Ambush is capped at 70%
3. Group Warding is capped at 70%
4. Personal Warding is capped at 90%

So a Ranger & Mammoth can confer at most 70% group warding to other units, but only units with innate personal warding, like the Ranger and Crusader can reach 90% warding:
warding = min(90, personalw+ min(70, groupw))
Chazar

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 pm

I believe items that confer personal warding can allow other heroes besides the Ranger to reach 90%.

KGB
KGB

Postby fantastory » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am

could those caps be added to the wiki? on battle calculation or at icon and abilities page?
fantastory

Return to Game discussion