Nerf the Dwarf!

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Nerf the Dwarf!

Postby Pillager » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:10 pm

So, most of the 1 turn units took a hit in beta 3.
Elves and light cav are no longer the terrors they used to be.

I think there are still a few stand out 1 turn units that could be taken down a peg....

Heavy inf...ditch the bonus in open, make it 3 strength with no terrain bonuses.

Pikemen...reduce the open bonus to +1. Reduce cost to 400.

Dwarf...reduce hills bonus to +1.

I will still be buying production for all of these units even if these changes are made...and I barely buy any production..so they are probably all still slightly too good.
Pillager

Re: Nerf the Dwarf!

Postby LPhillips » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:19 am

I can agree that it might help to nerf some one-turn units. Maybe not exactly what Pillager suggested, but there are plenty of possibilities. Why do we have Pikemen *and* Heavy Infantry, with a bonus in Open? Heavy Infantry would be fine without the bonus, and maybe Pikemen should stay as they are. I'd like to see Dwarves reduced to 3 base strength, with the same +2 in Hills.
LPhillips

Postby Pillager » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 pm

:shock:
LPhillips vaguely agreed with something I wrote!
:lol:

3 strength for the dwarf might be a bit harsh..considering it's slow movement rate. It would become overspecialized...a unit that had no purpose beyond the hills.

I would like to see light cavalry get an attack bonus. It would make them behave like light cav (hit and run tactics)...but I fear they would be too powerful.
Pillager

Postby LPhillips » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 am

You're right about the dwarf becoming too specialized. I think we'll have all the nerf we need in beta4, actually, when they don't share their movement bonus. I actually find Light Cavalry's current bonus to be invaluable. I love to smash valuable stacks with them, and I love that you can bring them along with your hero with ease. I'll trail stacks of 4+ a few moves behind my hero stack and then group them strategically with each of the hero's attacks, eliminating gobs of valuable troops in open terrain with one hero, sometimes multiple stacks in one turn, and losing only inexpensive Light Cavalry. I play offensive defense and defensive offense, if that makes sense.

This game is great even just as it is.
I'd love to explain my stack-juggling in detail, but that might improve the competition's technique :D
Just don't come near a city with a hero if you can't attack it the same turn, and don't march out if you can't reach my attacking forces in one move! Stack bonuses are the bee's knees. I absolutely adore them, and they won't be included next time because of a few players' comments. Someone comes up to a city with a pile of heavy infantry boosted by a Pegasus, and a hero stack. Obviously planning to weaken or threaten it with one stack leaving the other to have its way. Pop a Forest bonus with those spare 15 points, kill the Pegasus stack, return to the city, and leave the enemy hero to wait for your reinforcements or run with his tail between his legs. Balance your sallying force with heavy infantry in front (boosted +3 by hero and allies, just a few of them), then an elf (str 8!) to prevent the Pegasus from touching your allies, and you come out 20 hero points ahead.
LPhillips

Return to Game discussion