Hero power and balancing for Beta 2

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Hero power and balancing for Beta 2

Postby Itangast » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm

A hero can achieve +4 in command which makes him/her too powerful imo. I know there are some units to counter hero powers but these units are too rare.

Atm, I think + 4 in command is too easy to achieve and probably too powerful as well. I think +3 command should be max from EXP points (and harder to reach than current setup). In addition - perhaps create some rare items (from quests) which gives command (eg staff of ruling) which would make it possible to achieve above 3 in command but still very hard to do so.

Regarding the units in battles in beta2; I think the battles are very well balanced atm (better than beta 1). Most fights are between 1-2 turn units though so hard to evaluate all aspects. Perhaps some tweakening is required for 3 turn and above units.
Perhaps start with reducing the prices to buy +3 turn units (and above) slightly
(as gold income got a nerf since beta 1 as well :)

I am having fun atm.... keep it going :)
Itangast

Re: Hero power and balancing for Beta 2

Postby KGB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Itangast,

I agree with you that heroes level up WAY too easily. They are fine early in the game against neutral cities when there is 1 defender but as soon as you face human armies you can easily generate 20-40 XP a turn. I've gone from L1 to L5 in 2-3 turns with a new hero that arrived on the front lines.

It would be better (and simpler) to tone down the XP rate for Beta 2 so that L10 was MUCH harder to achieve. The easiest way to do that is change the XP so that you only get XP from the strongest enemy unit killed in the stack. So if you killed 8 light infantry you get 2 XP (light infantry). If you killed a Demon + 7 light infantry you get 7 XP (demon).

Then Piranha and SnotlinG can continue to concentrate on Beta 3 stuff.

KGB
KGB

Postby SBRatelle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:13 am

I agree about the Hero exp that KGB suggested, even though I am only in three games now.

I couldnt find a topic about ruins. I cant see them on the map, is that something to be added later?

I played the living daylights out of the warlords series. I even remember KGB from Red Orb Zone. My ladder name was Eraser.
SBRatelle

Postby KGB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:32 am

Eraser,

I remember your name! Welcome back. There are several old Warlords who still play online DLR games if you still have your CD.

Ruins aren't in the game yet so you aren't missing them. Maybe in beta 3.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 am

Hmm, you are right, command should normally be +3 as a maximum. Not sure why I made it +4... probably forgot about the initial starting bonus :-)

Anyway we will re-work the hero setup and leveling to next beta phase, so it will be changed. I will review all suggestions once again when we get closer to the hero-part again. All feedback is very much appreciated :D
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 pm

I just noticed something else today for the first time that I had been wondering about but did not have the opportunity to test.

A brand new hero joined me by pure luck in a city where I already had a hero. So I put this new hero into my other hero stack and attacked an enemy city with 12 defenders. After winning I noticed that BOTH heroes got 60XP for the battle so in effect I got 2x experience.

So my new hero instantly went to L4 and +2 command.

I don't recall whether it worked like that in War2 or not. In DLR only 1 hero gets experience when attacking (either the hero who is on a quest, or the highest level hero). All heroes would get full experience when defending.

I personally don't think all heroes should get full experience from a battle whether attacking or defending. I'd suggest dividing it equally among all heroes (so if there was 60XP and 2 heroes, each gets 30).

KGB
KGB

Return to Game discussion