Balancing for Beta 3

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Re: Balancing for Beta 3

Postby KGB » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Piranha,

Bats - Move 20.
Orc - Don't care seemed fine as it was
Light Calv - YES
Dwarf - Disagree. This unit and the Pikemen are identical 1 turn 4 strength units so they should move 8 to compensate for that strength advantage. This unit is an excellent city defender and works awesome on hills with it's 1 movement pt and +2 combat.
Elves - Str 2. This means the 4 strength units (pike/dwarf) move 8, the 3 strength unit (hv Inf) moves 12 and the 2 strength units (orc, elf, lt infantry, lt cavalry etc) all move 14+. Much better balance for the 1 turn units to follow that rule.
Wizard - Disagree. I'd never build one if it took 3 turns. It's basically a Giant with some extra movement and bonus vs fliers (which makes it ideal for air defense thanks to it's high move). I'd instead prevent it from EVER being in a capitol city. If you have to make a change, reduce the Wizard to 4 strength so it can still be useful against fliers but isn't much of an assault unit.
Unicorn - 1200 seems a bit much for me just to cancel terrain bonus's outside cities. 1000 or 1100 would be better since it has to compete with a Pegasi only costing 1000 for a +1 stack bonus.
Elephant - Increase the strength to 7 as well. Makes it more valuable as a combat unit given it's slow move.
Ghost - So this means 1 Ghost is really 30% since it gives itself +5% in addition to it's own 25%? The cost of this unit seems a bit high at 1600 gold. Probably shouldn't cost more than 1300.
Devil - I'd prefer it cancels the negative bonus's like the Medusa.
Demon - Interesting idea, but how is this going to work? Are you going to be reducing the enemy strength when it fights a demon to compensate for the walls? What if there are no walls (ie L2 or less)? What if you already have siege units negating all the walls? This seems like it's going to end up buggy/hard to understand-use.
Griffon - 18 moves. 16 is a too few for this unit. It needs to keep up with Pegasi and heroes.

KGB

P.S. If you want to make the 3,4 and 5 turn units better value in terms of combat then put many of those units back to their original strengths.

Dragons - 9
Demons/Archons - 8
Elementals - 7 (I know they were 8 but with the +3 attack bonus 7 is fine)

That along with the Elephant going to 7 makes most of the 3 turn units all 7 strength (other than Griffon/Ghost) plus they all give some kind of stack type bonus. It also means they won't get killed so easily by the cannon fodder 1 turn units esp if the Elf + Lt Calv go down to 2 strength.
Last edited by KGB on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KGB

Re: Balancing for Beta 3

Postby Itangast » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

piranha wrote:Orc: move:15
Light cav. STR 2 +2 open
Dwarf. Move: 10
Catapult. move: 12, cost: 1100 gold
Wizard: build time: 3
Unicorn: build time: 3, cost: 1200 (cancel terrain only outside cities and can't cancel stack bonuses that are terrain based)
Elephant: cost 1200
Ghost: 25% Critical strike (still +5)
Devil: Cancel positive stack bonuses only, including stack bonuses that are terrain based (medusa still doing -1). Cost 1800
Demon: Remove +1 stack, instead fights vs cities as if there was no city wall making it a high quality cannon fodder type unit instead of support unit.

Light Cavalry is great change. It will still be a good unit, but harder to use to capture cities.

Dwarf should still be 8 moves as they are powerful as the pikemen.

Wizards are OK at 3 turns... perhaps make them 7 STR so they will survive better.

The ghost change is an interesting one that I like a lot, the unit will have like 30% crit chance, and it can be further improved with other ghosts.... (65 % crit is now max). Each unit has only one crit - so I think this will work very well.

The most important nerf here is the Devil one. At present, you need to rely on lucky dices in order to kill a stack with a Devil inside.

Unicorn and Medusa will have much more influence as result of the devil nerf. I like this a lot, more units will have more influence.
Itangast

Previous

Return to Game discussion