Not completely frozen (for 1 player) freeze mode

If you find a bug please report it here

Not completely frozen (for 1 player) freeze mode

Postby zillusion » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Anarcopie and I have been playing a simultaneous game and we have found some odd things going on with freeze mode. A number of times one of us could move first and the other was still frozen. It's easy to think it's just in our heads or something, but we finally caught it at a clear cut instance and I took a bunch of screen shots as we talked about it over chat.

For turn 39, we were both moving and talking at the same time. Anarcopie ended his turn first and I logged out and waited over 12 hours before going back in to end my turn (so I wouldn't be asleep when it started the next one). After I ended my turn, it said the freeze would last for over 4 hours. Five to ten minutes later, Anarcopie started messaging me about the turn. I left the game I was playing.

Our game still showed it was frozen and on turn 40. I went into our game. He had already attacked a city where I had two heroes. He started talking about the turn. When I told him I still couldn't move, he was really surprised. I watched him move several units. I tried to move again, but the game told me that my turn was frozen and it wouldn't let me move. It wouldn't let me pick up items (he had killed one of my heroes, but another of my heroes was standing in the same place and I tried to have him pick up the items the first one had).

Then he said it wouldn't let him move anymore and showed him frozen. At this point my freeze time was down to around 3 hours and 30 minutes (see screenshots for details). Now we were both frozen on turn 40 (though he had already moved on turn 40). I could even pull up the battle dialogue, it showed 3 attacks he made on turn 40, the very turn we were on and now both frozen in. At this point, his screen showed more time before the freeze would end than me. He showed over 4 hours (around my original amount of freeze time) but mine showed around 3h30.

I tried a number of different things to see if I could affect the state of the freeze. I logged out and logged in--with no change for me (I do not remember if that might have changed him from unfrozen back to frozen, but I didn't remark on it causing the change at the time). I closed my browser (Google Chrome) and reopened it also. Finally I rebooted my computer (after he was already frozen). As far as I could tell, none of these made any difference.

I have about 16 screenshots taken while it happened. You can view them here:
http://postimg.org/gallery/8b8szn4u/

Zillusion
zillusion

Re: Not completely frozen (for 1 player) freeze mode

Postby zillusion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 pm

This game, Matched213, is still messed up. My opponent just took his whole turn, I watched his units move, and I couldn't move anything. He just ended his turn before mine began (I still show over 4 hrs of freeze left), and I'm wondering if he will get a whole new turn when I start mine.
zillusion

Postby KGB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:49 am

This is normal behavior.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2030

As of version 0.91, freeze time is individual in simul turns to encourage players ending their turn earlier and to deal with players taking advantage of other players in other time zones.

So your opponent obviously is ending his turn before you end yours and thus for him the game unfreezes before it does for you.

KGB
KGB

Postby akhran » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 am

Perhaps it is normal behavior. If it is, the wiki should be updated to explain how it works.

I think there are many facets of simul mode that are unclear or confusing (and may also be bugs). When I finish taking my turn, it shows a freeze time countdown and a snowflake. When the last player finishes his turn, this time changes (and sometimes it is instantly my turn, even those the freeze time just indicated several days of freeze time. I'm not sure how it is supposed to work, but I am confused about it and the wiki isn't much help.
akhran

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

This is how it is supposed to work:

When you hit endturn, you get a certain amount of freezetime (this is the exact same amount for all players for the same turn).
Example game, with two players (A & B) that are just playing turn 3.
So for example player A hits endturn at 12.00 in turn 3. Turn 3 has a freezetime of say 2 hours (this is a randomized value), so player A´s freezetime ends at 14.00.

While a player has freezetime left, it actually means that he cannot do anything in the next coming turn. So as long as it is the same turn as the player hit endturn in, he will be in Active mode, thus able to make actions still (but under the risk of the other players hitting endturn also and forcing a new turn of course).

So if player B hits endturn at 13.00, player Bs freezetime will end at 15.00 (all logical since freezetime was 2h).
So this means that at time 12.00 to 13.00 player A can still make actions in the game as in Active mode. He can not controll whenever the turn ends though.
At time 13.00 turn 4 is started. However, both players are still in freezetime and can not do any actions.
At 14.00 freezetime for player A expires, and he/she can start doing actions.
At 15.00 freezetime for player B expires, and this player can now start doing actions as well.

So the system is to encourage to end your turn early, also to not give any advantage to hold on your turn to move last etc...
Some moderator might be able to update the wiki with this example or some other better example :-)
SnotlinG

Return to Bug reports