New Hero Bug

If you find a bug please report it here

New Hero Bug

Postby KGB » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:53 pm

In my game Fastplay (gameid = 146) I've encountered a strange bug.

At the start of my turn I was offered a hero. I did not accept because I didn't think I could afford the hero due to low gold and my income being close to my upkeep.

When I re-entered the turn I got the hero offer again as expected.

However during my turn I took and sacked an enemy city obtaining a large amount of gold. By accident, I added production to the city before I remembered the bug about buying the hero instead of the production in the city. However, this time I was surprised to see I got the production in the city.

I then decided I did want the hero because I had lots of money. So I exited and re-entered my turn. However the hero offer is now lost. So that's one bug.

The second bug is that when I do a show heroes, it says I have 6 when in fact I have 3 (I lost one hero during the turn as I started with 4). Cycling through the heroes shows my 3 remaining heroes then 2 'fake' heroes with the name of my dead hero located in the upper left corner (what I assume is the 0,0 spot on the map). Then I see the unnamed hero I didn't buy (name = objectWindow) also in the upper left corner. So that's a 2nd bug.

Clicking the 'next unit' button has a crazy effect. It seems to select my entire 400 army list (all heroes, units etc) and show them in the stack window. So that's a 3rd bug.

Looking now at my upkeep it's 2500 gold! It was 1100 gold at the start of my turn before I killed off a bunch of armies. It's like the next unit mess up has suddenly doubled my upkeep despite the number of armies in the stats screen still showing around 400. So that's a 4th bug.

Incidentally, one time when I was messing around with the next unit button I managed to somehow select the unnamed hero. I've heard from other players in other games that they have actually had a hero appear in the upper left corner (with allies) and wer able to use that hero! I thought that strange but now that I see this effect I bet this is what happened to them.

I have not ended my turn so that you can take a look. Once you are finished, let me know and I'll end my turn or it will time out shortly (24 hr turn).

KGB
KGB

Re: New Hero Bug

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks for the description.
Its a bit hard to see what have happened exactly, but I found the problem at least :-)

I have removed the units that where incorrect in the database, please have a look and see if you miss any units from your game. (I think not?)

Anyway I think this was caused by the hero bug, I´ll dig into it more in detail when I reach the bugfixing phase (still working on the mapeditor).
The idea is that the hero offer is not valid for the entire turn, but rather should be there just in case the browser crashes before you have had the chance to press OK/cancel. So that the offer disapered during your turn can happen (depending on what actions you take during the turn, i.e. conquer cities etc...)
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 pm

SnotlinG,
SnotlinG wrote:I have removed the units that where incorrect in the database, please have a look and see if you miss any units from your game. (I think not?)

What? I'm missing at least 50 dragons as recall having one per city ;)

Everything looks good. Thanks for fixing it before the game got any more corrupted or I went broke next turn!

The idea is that the hero offer is not valid for the entire turn, but rather should be there just in case the browser crashes before you have had the chance to press OK/cancel. So that the offer disapered during your turn can happen (depending on what actions you take during the turn, i.e. conquer cities etc...)

Ah, I see. So the offer will remain until you 'do' something like move a unit. Up until that time you can exit/re-enter and get the offer again? I hope that's the case because sometimes I want to check my gold, my hero names (so I use a new name) etc. So being able to review the offer a 2nd time before moving any units would be really nice.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 am

Currently the hero offer will be removed after certain actions, like conquering a city. Moving units should be fine in Beta2.
For next phase my plan was to change it so that if you press cancel on the hero offer popup the hero offer was lost. But maybe we should reconsider how it should work, in case players want to be able to look around the map/check existing heroes etc first.
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:40 pm

SnotlinG,

SnotlinG wrote:For next phase my plan was to change it so that if you press cancel on the hero offer popup the hero offer was lost. But maybe we should reconsider how it should work, in case players want to be able to look around the map/check existing heroes etc first.

Yes please!

KGB
KGB

Postby flash » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am

Got a similar Bug in Game ID 129

What I did:

-turned hero offer down - 1 ally was not enough for me
-played on as normal conquering cities
-then, while browsing next units, I realize that I was able to control a new hero on the top left corner, not even near to my cities.

Im not sure I got Gold spent on it...
flash

Postby bras » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:52 am

I also had a situation where three fake heroes were shown in an upper hand corner in addition to my three existing heroes. Moreover, my upkeep was also shown doubled. finally, when I pressed "select next", all my units were shown in lower-left hand corner instead of just a specific stack. By "all units" that I mean about 300 units.
bras

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:32 pm

From Beta3 there will be a button where you can access your hero offer during the whole turn, regardless of what actions etc you make. :)
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:13 pm

SnotlinG,

Nice. Thanks for that.

Hopefully if your gold situation changes during turn (ie you spend gold on production/city walls) and get below the hero offer value that you can't get the hero still. Of course if you later capture/pillage gold you should then be able to accept the offer. Just a couple things to test out.

Incidentally, will we be able to see the allies we are getting?

KGB
KGB

Return to Bug reports