empty city guarded

If you find a bug please report it here

Re: empty city guarded

Postby SnotlinG » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm

KGB wrote:I see this one quite often when I have a mixed stack of fliers and boats and I attempt to move into my own city where the square in the city is the furthest away from the water and there are armies in the other spot in the city they must pass over.

Ie SwwdCc

I select my mixed stack (S), click on city square (c) and attempt to move over water (w) a dock (d) and a square in my city (C) that contains armies.

KGB

Thats strange.
Is that reproducable? I.e. if you reload the map, can you still get that same error message by trying to move the same stack again?
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Fri May 09, 2014 11:49 pm

SnotlinG wrote:Thats strange.
Is that reproducable? I.e. if you reload the map, can you still get that same error message by trying to move the same stack again?

I'll let you know the next time I see it in a game and if I can, I'll let you take a look.

Also, I just saw an empty city in a team game that was not empty. Here's what happened.
1) My 2 teammates had already taken their turns (hit end turn) and were not online. Neither had unfogged the enemy city that turn (unless for some reason the game is fogging up after a teammate ends their turn which I don't think it does as I believe it waits until all teammates finish their turn).
2) I moved 1 unit toward the city to scout and had it stop 4 squares away so that the entire city would be unfogged. The unit moved into range and the city appeared empty.
3) I hit F5 to reload and I saw the city with close to 30 units in it (all 4 squares occupied split between 2 enemy teammates).

I definitely don't have a bad connection (Work PC with some quality high speed internet). I wonder if it's because I am the last player to move in the turn and my teammates had already moved and hit end turn? This is also a city that was razed a few turns ago and rebuilt by the enemy if that might make any difference.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Wed May 14, 2014 10:22 am

Just to inform you that option (C) has now been implemented and added to version 1.0.
This should atleast give you a warning and stopping you from attacking an incorrectly showed empty city.
Please let me know if this bug still could happen to you.
As for (A) and (B) I will need to think about a good solution for these issues and try to add it in next version (i.e. some time away).

KGB wrote:
Also, I just saw an empty city in a team game that was not empty. Here's what happened.
1) My 2 teammates had already taken their turns (hit end turn) and were not online. Neither had unfogged the enemy city that turn (unless for some reason the game is fogging up after a teammate ends their turn which I don't think it does as I believe it waits until all teammates finish their turn).
2) I moved 1 unit toward the city to scout and had it stop 4 squares away so that the entire city would be unfogged. The unit moved into range and the city appeared empty.
3) I hit F5 to reload and I saw the city with close to 30 units in it (all 4 squares occupied split between 2 enemy teammates).

I definitely don't have a bad connection (Work PC with some quality high speed internet). I wonder if it's because I am the last player to move in the turn and my teammates had already moved and hit end turn? This is also a city that was razed a few turns ago and rebuilt by the enemy if that might make any difference.

KGB

1. Unfogging only happens when the next team starts their turn. So even after your team has hit endturn you should be able to see what areas you have unfogged (until next team logins first time and thus initiating their turn)

2 & 3, interesting! How did this city look in the FOW for you? Did it look like it was razed, or did it look like the proper rebuilt city? Do you remember what kind of unit you used for scouting? (probably doesnt matter though)
SnotlinG

Postby SnotlinG » Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Also, please let me know when you notice this empty city behavior again (and note at what time you performed your move-action which should have seen the enemy units but didnt), I will then check the logs for any kind of error. I dont think its an error like that, but never hurts to check to be sure...
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 pm

SnotlinG wrote:1. Unfogging only happens when the next team starts their turn. So even after your team has hit endturn you should be able to see what areas you have unfogged (until next team logins first time and thus initiating their turn)

2 & 3, interesting! How did this city look in the FOW for you? Did it look like it was razed, or did it look like the proper rebuilt city? Do you remember what kind of unit you used for scouting? (probably doesnt matter though)

So then based on #1, my team mates had not unfogged the city on their turn. I used a Yeti to scout the city.

The city looked rebuilt in the FOW. Which I thought was strange since we had left it razed. That's why I scouted it again. I didn't think I would know it was rebuilt until I unfogged it again.

KGB

P.S. I'll let you know about the target has changed fix. Hopefully that annoying bug is now gone.
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Thu May 15, 2014 11:33 am

Spent a few hours trying to replicate the issue, but no luck so far. :-(

I have added another check on the DB query that gets the enemy unit information while moving your unit and discovering new enemy units. If this DB query fails the move command will now return a "target has changed" and not perform the move action, as compared to previously when the code just continued to run, and allowed the move (behaving like no new enemies was discovered). This could potentially have been the issue, however I was unable to find any evidence of this in earlier logs, but anyways lets keep our eyes open...
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:56 am

SnotlinG

An update on this long outstanding issue. It's in the 2v2 tourney game (55948 - 2v2 tournam_r1_a2). It happened this turn (20).

I moved first. I unfogged just the top part of the city 'Go Away' owned by Yellow with a Pikeman. In the upper left corner was an enemy hero stack. I moved my Pikeman back out of view range of the city. I then ended my turn.

My teammate then logged in to take his turn. The city to him was completely fogged so somehow my unfog of the top half didn't take (I wonder if this is due to my movement being 'stopped' due to spotting enemy stack in the city and the game didn't register that the city was unfogged because my movement was interrupted).

As my teammate moved toward the city it unfogged and showed as completely empty (guessing the game thought the top part of the city was unfogged and thus no 'stop on spotted enemy' was triggered for him. When he moved into the city he was surprised to end up in a battle and lost his hero stack :(

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for all the info!
Im almost done with all the tournament coding, and will then be able to focus on this annoying issue.

As for your teammate, if his client displayed the city wrong (i.e. not showing an enemy stack) then the game should warn him with an "The taget has changed" popup when he tries to attack. Didn he see any of those?
SnotlinG

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:38 pm

I have finally been able to hunt down and fix this annoying and long lasting bug.
The bug was only active in teamgames, and would sometimes cause enemy units to be invisible to you (in case your ally had scouted them first that same turn).

Hopefully I have now restored the trust in the clients vision and discovered enemy units :)
SnotlinG

Previous

Return to Bug reports