Water is flashing black

If you find a bug please report it here

Water is flashing black

Postby piranha » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:00 am

Copied from the chat:

Qwertius:
Today, in all my games, all the water flashes black every second or so; it's as if one frame of the animation is solid black. Still playable, but annoying. Tried restarting Chrome and even rebooting. Happening to everyone, or just me?

SnotlinG:
Qwertius, I had the same the other day. But is working for me now.Are you using a new version of chrome or something? Could you try reloading your offline cache?

piranha:
Qwertius, I've seen it in a developerversion of chrome called chrome canary. Which browser are you using? have you tried if you get the same thing if you try another brower?

Qwertius:
I cleared cached images and files; it is now worse. Now it looks like every frame in the water animation has some black pixels, some more than others. Using Chrome version 39.0.2171.65 m. It does not happen in Firefox.

zillusion:
Qwertius, I had the same thing start happening to me 2 updates ago (around 1.01 or maybe even the update before that). It's annoying, but I try to just ignore it.

zillusion:
Sometimes it feels like it gives me a headache.I didn't pursue a report on it because I'm using google-chrome browser in Linux OS (it happens in both ubuntu or arch, which is what I use). It doesn't happen in firefox, but the game performs worse in firefox, so I still use google-chrome.

zillusion:
If you guys need help trouble shooting it, let me know. I'd be happy to be rid of the black flash.
AtomicDustmen the black flash is now happening to me as well...

piranha:
The water animation is 2 backgrounds in the same div. One holding a static background of the water and a gif animation containing all the frames with pixel changes compared to the static image. It seems like the problem you have is that it only paints the animation background and not the static water image behind it. The result is you get the color background (black) where the static water image should be.
piranha
Site Admin

Re: Water is flashing black

Postby Balian » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi, I have the same problem! I can ignore it, but without the flashing it would be more fun...
Balian

Postby piranha » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:46 pm

For how long was it flashing for you?

I'm trying to figure it out but I'm starting to think that google introduced a bug in chrome. It showed up for me a few months back in chrome canary and now normal chrome.

If any of our players have experience in css and html I've created this test page:
http://www.warbarons.com/testwater.html

It can be inspected and easily played around with to test things out.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Balian » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

As I logged in with google chrome before one our, the problem was gone!
Don't know why, I hope the problem is solved:)
Balian

Postby piranha » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:08 pm

No the problem is not solved. I don't know why it can go back to working again like that.

For anyone who have the flicker problem, you can refresh your cache to get a slightly less irritating flicker. I've replaced the black background color with a teal background color.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Moonknight » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Mine has been flashing on Chrome as well.

Started when I cleared my cache last week when SnotlinG allowed punctuation to sign posts.

That could just be coincidental timing though.
Moonknight

Postby piranha » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:01 am

Still not much progress with this one but I noticed one thing, completely closing the browser and starting it again fixed the problem for me several times but it came back again too. Very odd.

To quickly test this just close your browser (all tabs and windows) and then start the browser and open this url: http://www.warbarons.com/testwater.html

If its flashing its still broken, if not it's currently working. Perhaps we can find out something more. For all of you with flashing water please give it a try.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Chazar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 am

I have seen this several times, but a reload or two always fixed it for me.

I thought this was a simple network problem, with the graphics partially loading, as it seems to happen more frequently on my android phone or when I use my latop (Chrome/Linux) on the train where the network connection is somewhat slow and unstable.
Chazar

Postby Chazar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am

Now I am fully affected after updating chrome. :(

Instead of black, I see a plain blue water background on these tiles.

Code: Select all
Chromium   39.0.2171.65 (Developer Build)
Revision   b853bfefba0da840f4574eb3b5c7ad6e9b8573b5
OS   Linux
Blink   537.36 (@185325)
JavaScript   V8 3.29.88.17
Flash   15.0.0.223
User Agent   Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.65 Safari/537.36

Before, I used Chromium 36.0....

UPDATE: Now the water graphics are stable and are not blinking anymore for me. However, I did not change anything. Weird.
Chazar

Testpage works/doesnt work

Postby Chazar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:41 am

The testpage linked above shows two differing behaviours:

It works, if I open it in a separate tab. So I only see a blank white page with four animated water tiles shown fine in the top left corner.

It does not work, if I open it within the current frame (i.e. normal left-click on the link). In that case, the tiles blink, briefly showing the pages brown background. (The exception being the top-most water tile, but that might be because it blinks to fast - the lowest tile is redrawn last after a blink.)
Chazar

Next

Return to Bug reports