can't move over enemies

If you find a bug please report it here

can't move over enemies

Postby Pretion » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:57 am

http://twitpic.com/1ybty7/full

this move path was created automaticly for me. however, i cant execute the move. i guess you can't walk over an enemy which is fine. but if that is the case, i would expect the move logic to have the path go around the enemy unit.
Pretion

Re: can't move over enemies

Postby SnotlinG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Hmm, yes thats how it is supposed to work right now, the path calculation dont take enemies into consideration. Maybe I should change this, but Im not sure if that is a wanted feature or not?
SnotlinG

Postby Pretion » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I doubt that it would happen very often. either you would want to fight, or run away. but i think in this case the enemy should be treated as a mountain and the movement path should go around them
Pretion

Postby KGB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm

SnotlingG,

No, I would NOT make that change to take enemies into consideration.

You'll find that when you finish Fog of War that players could then use that feature to detect where enemy armies were in the fog by looking at the move path and seeing where it bypassed certain squares esp on roads...

DLR definitely does not take into account enemy stacks when computing movement paths.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Yea ofcourse in that case we would not take hidden enemies into account when calculating. :-) But maybe the calculate path should not care about enemies anyway, maybe it should be strictly for calculating the best path regardless of troops.
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:01 pm

SnotlingG,
SnotlinG wrote:But maybe the calculate path should not care about enemies anyway, maybe it should be strictly for calculating the best path regardless of troops.

That's how I would do it.

Otherwise players will start complaining that the path is taking them too close to enemy cities :) To me, the movement path is meant to calculate the shortest distance, not the safest path.

KGB
KGB

Postby Pretion » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:34 pm

i don't know about that fog of war game. i need to try that setting
Pretion

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 am

KGB, I will leave it as it is for now I think. Maybe I will redo it later on if the majority of the players wants it to calculate a path around enemies.

Pretion, fog of war is not working yet, thats one of the huge things we have left to implement. We have solved most of the initial issues though, but need to put all small pieces together first. So this is one of the big things for beta3, which is still some bit in the future.
SnotlinG

Return to Bug reports