Quests (revisited)

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Quests (revisited)

Postby Moonknight » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 am

I know the topic of quests have been discussed before, but there was some good conversation going on in a Dread Knight strategy talk thread, so I thought I start up a new Wish List thread for Quests.

Here were some good thoughts by KGB:

KGB wrote:Piranha,

The trigger system is definitely interesting and you've added a lot to it since it first started. But it has the following drawbacks:

1) They can only be used in Scenario games which really limits their value.
2) The map maker must manually create every last trigger condition in the game. In other words, there is a LOT of work to do for the map maker in creating lots of triggers. As you add more trigger conditions, map makers must remember to go back and take advantage of them (new rewards, new options etc) which puts more work on the map makers to continually update the map.
3) The triggers are static. In other words always the same since they are fixed. This means they are exercises in memorization for players to know what's where.
4) The triggers can be completed by ANY unit. In other words, no heroes are required.

I think they are great for making custom scenarios where you want to do things like activate AI's, turn cities into City States etc. Cool stuff like that is exactly what triggers are for (Warlords IV used a mechanism much like this to do these same type of global things).

What we are looking for is a quest system that is hero based, non-static and where the game does all the work so that as you guys add new things they get automatically included in every game.

If you recall, Warlords 2 had a very basic quest system. A hero visited a temple and was able to obtain a quest. The drawbacks were: The quest might be nearby or might be on the far side of the map. There was only 1 quest per side (not per hero) at a time. You had to visit a temple to get one (which meant being near temples was huge). You could not abandon the quest other than killing the hero who had it. The reward was handed out immediately (no need to return to get your reward)

DLR improved this by changing it so you only needed to visit one of your cities to get a quest (no more temple dependency). You could select a quest level (easy, medium, hard) that was based in large part by how far away the quest was / how hard it was to complete. You could abandon quests (with a penalty of turns before you got a new one). Still, there was only 1 quest per side and the quests and rewards were not specific to the heroes in any way.

I'd suggest using some of what DLR did and improve on that over several versions of the game. What I'd like to see initially is:

1) A hero can get a quest in any friendly city (yours or teammate).
2) Can select easy or medium (using the DLR model of city wall level of 6 or better needed for medium quests).
3) One quest per side (later potentially 1 per hero).
4) When possible quest is hero specific.
5) Give the player a choice of 2 quests from the list below

Examples of Easy Quests:
1) Capture a city (within 15 map squares of the hero location in any direction. No more than 2 defenders in the city)
2) Capture a site (Within 15 map squares)
3) Kill a specific unit type based on hero (for example 1 Eagle by a Ranger. At least 1 unit of that type must be within 15 squares of the hero)
4) Capture a tower (within 15 map squares)
5) Bless at nearby temple (Temple within 15 squares. UL temple for Pally/Ranger/Assassin, Strength temple for Barb/DK, Move temple for Valk/HL might make for nice hero restrictions)
6) Search a L1 ruin (within 15 map squares)
7) Rebuild a city (within 15 map squares, max cost 600 gold)

In some cases it may be possible there is NO east quest of any kind in which case the hero can't get one.

Examples of Medium Quests:
1) Capture a city (12-35 map squares from hero location in any direction. At least 3+ defenders in the city)
2) Raze a city (same parameters as Capture a city)
3) Kill multiple enemy units (from any side, any type of units counts. The number should be between 7-15).
4) Search a L2 ruin (within 30 map squares) or L3 ruin (within 20 map squares)
5) Kill an enemy hero (within 20 map squares)
6) Capture a Tower (12-35 map squares. At least 4+ defenders in the tower)

The rewards get handed out immediately. No need to return to get them. Easy rewards should be very small like 100-300 gold, A single ally (like 1 Pegasi type thing. Use different units than the current allies from ruins/hero offers), 2 points of hero skills. Medium rewards would be better stuff like 300-700 gold, a good L1 item or a L2 item, 2-4 allies (4 if they are 2 turn units, 3 if they are 3 turn units or 2 if they are 4 turn units. So 2 Mammoths or 3 Pegasi or 4 Wizards type thing), 1 point of hero based skill (so Chaos for a DK, Leader for a Pally etc. This reward might only happen for a specific quest type such as raze city for a DK)

In addition to the reward, the hero gets XP for completing the quest. Maybe 250 XP for an easy quest and 750 XP for a medium quest.

This is an example of what we are talking about.

KGB

My personal favorite quests were tracking down a specific item that an enemy hero had in his/her possession, a true "Hard" quest that was a fun game of hunting! :twisted:
Moonknight

Re: Quests (revisited)

Postby magian » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 am

Good Plan Moonknight, we were really straying pretty far off topic.

I have to say, I am pretty much on side with KGB here. His suggestions would (at the very least) be a great starting point to work from.

Also, I feel the need to explain that I have scads of wishes for Warbarons, I get 'wouldn't it be cool if' ideas every time I play. However, a questing system is at the extreme top of my wishlist, and has been since I started playing.
magian

Postby magian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:26 pm

So, what about a modular quest system?

My idea here is to string short quests (along the line of the easy quests proposed by KGB) together into an ongoing narrative.

For example:

My Ranger gets a quest at one of my cities. The quest is to retrieve a holy relic from a nearby ruin. She goes to the ruin, searches and defeats the ruins guardians. If she was level 1 the quest would end here, granting her a small reward and some XP. If she is higher level, there is a chance (based on hero level) that the quest continues. If it does continue, she would still get the XP, but would receive no reward. Let's say that (in this instance) the quest does continue. My ranger has defeated the ruin guardian, but now discovers that dwarven thieves have stolen the relic and hidden it at a nearby mine. She must journey to the mine to retrieve the relic. When she does capture the mine, the quest may end granting her a much better reward and more XP. Or (if she is high enough level) the quest might continue on. Perhaps she must take the relic to a nearby temple. In any event, the longer the quest, the greater the reward at the end. I think a 3-part quest could be the maximum length (so that they don't drag on indeterminably).

So a paladin could journey to a temple. Then be told by the priests there that: he must raze an enemy city because it has become a haven for an evil cult; or that he must fulfill a prophecy by killing an enemy hero.
magian

Postby Moonknight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

I think that's a brilliant idea Magian, obviously better suited for large maps (could possibly be shared within the same team?) or on a solo "campaign" type of play (something I hope is also created at some point).
Moonknight

Postby Moonknight » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:32 pm

bump for conversation...
Moonknight

Postby Moonknight » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:31 pm

Bump...I sure do miss the quest part of Warlords in this game.
Moonknight

Return to Wish list