simultaneous vs turn based

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

simultaneous vs turn based

Postby svaxjo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 pm

There should really be a mixture of these two game modes. Simultaneous mode is great but gives an advantage to players who can time a double move. That is probably why I, and most players, prefer turn based mode. It however takes forever to play turn based in the beginning of big FFA games when there still is 8 players. In my opinion, there is however no need for turn based at this point? Instead the first couple of turns could be played in simultaneous mode before switching over to turn based mode.

Maybe an option for the person creating a game, e.g. "number of turns simultaneous".

Or maybe a more clever function that detects if any players can reach each other within two turns -> switch to turn based... (this information, that no one is close, may however be abused on some maps with fog wars...)

Playing the Fibonacci-map now, could probably have 5 or more turns of simultaneous, but instead it will take a week in-between turns taking a minute or two to actually play...
svaxjo

Re: simultaneous vs turn based

Postby Moonknight » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 pm

I think the mixture of the two is a good idea!
Moonknight

Postby zillusion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:47 am

I agree fully with both posts.
zillusion

Postby Igor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Would be good at my look to have ability to set short turn-time limit for limited number of first turns. Such as first 5-10 turns with 15 minutes per turn, then 1 day per turn. Should be good for first turns when there are only some units and some cities.
Igor

Postby svaxjo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:22 pm

bump
svaxjo

Postby piranha » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:02 am

I think its a good idea. will check with snotling ho much work it would be to alter gametype after certain amount of turns. I don't think we will have time to create an algorithm that can detect and then change how many turns. The most simple way would be to have it set. It could depend om mapsize or just be a hardcoded value. What is a good number? I heard 3 and 5 depending on map size.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby smursh » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:38 pm

If code makes it easiest to go with 1 number I would say 4 to start. Could be changed later based on feedback you get.
smursh

Postby svaxjo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Great to get a response in this. I think it will improve the game lots to get the games going in the beginning.

4 turns would be good and is pretty safe. I however wouldn't mind more. Maybe 5 turns for a small map and 8 turns for a big map. I can can deal with the risk of a surprise double move sneak attack for a few to turns... Maybe have "freeze time" for turn 5-8 and no "freeze time for turn 1-5.

Or maybe for simplicity, just have 5 turns as a nice and "round number".
svaxjo

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:14 pm

All code is complete in the game-engine. Now piranha just need to add the appropriate code in the gamelobby and we are ready to go! :)
SnotlinG

Postby piranha » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:22 am

Should work from now for any lobby created from now.
piranha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Wish list