Tournament Screen

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Tournament Screen

Postby Chazar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 am

Nice work on the new tournament info page, as can be seen for the 2-vs-2 tournament! I like the graphic bracket display. This is exciting!

Just a few nitpicks/questions:
  • What does "Type: For fun" mean?
    I guess this is aimed at some kind of prize for the future, but right now I find it confusing. I think it should say "Type: Ladder", since the games are all ladders games. Especially since there might be non-ladder team-tournaments which allows two players from different teams to form a tournament-team or being randomly paired up during the tournament.
  • Why does it say "Rounds: 5" when the graphic bracket displays just 4 rounds?
  • "Advancing players: 2" is slightly misleading, since what is meant for a Group-Tournament is "Advancing teams: 2"

Furthermore, I am still thinking about a way to involve spectators to gain more traction...
...so how about making player-vs-player battle replays already visible while the games are going on?

This would not reveal any new information to participating players, since all players could already see all those battle replays. Maybe it should only display large battles or battles involving heroes, so as not to drown spectators with uninteresting battles.

I could imagine that this would be quite interesting for the final rounds!

(Maybe the easiest way to implement it could be to add a spectator "player" to games, which has no units and always has fog of war throughout the entire map, and only see "public" information which is seen by all other participating players, such as player-vs-player battles?!)
Chazar

Re: Tournament Screen

Postby piranha » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks!

You are right about type. There is also planned to be prize based tournaments.
Since all games are ladder in tournaments it will not be possible to play team games with anyone who is not on your team. When a team play another pair from the same team there will just not be any ladder points transfered.
Random team and/or teams that consist of random players not on the same team may be a point to look at further ahead but we have a pretty time consuming list of work to do just to get all the current variations working properly so right now its a feature thats far ahead in the fog somewhere :-).

I'll update the round number to show properly, it's because we count the winner as a round.

Are you a pedant? I'll make sure it display players/team correctly :mrgreen: .

I like the spectator as a idea. I'll talk a bit with snotling about it.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Chazar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:37 pm

piranha wrote:...it will not be possible to play team games with anyone who is not on your team...

Perfectly fine with me.
(Apparently I misunderstood from other posts that this was planned feature.)

piranha wrote:Are you a pedant?

Yes, and I've been annoying myself with it for all my life. :oops: :lol:

It is minor indeed, but I pointed it out since I believe that it is easy to fix and also because it may confuse some people - this is an international website after all, isn't it?

piranha wrote:I like the spectator as a idea. I'll talk a bit with snotling about it.

In that case I have more to add, although this is unrelated to tournaments at first glance:

How about letting players see all battles that happen within view range of their units?

This would be quite a change for games with more than two opposing factions (i.e. players or teams), since it would allow scouts to scout enemy stacks without suicide - if they happen to see two enemies do battle with each other. It would also increase the power of a high view range a little bit, which I believe would be beneficial. It would also be thematic.

You already have a classification system for new (public/team/private), so battle seen by all active players should be classified as public. Thus in a 2-faction game, all battles (except against neutrals) would be classified as public. Any spectator would be allowed to see all public information.

(I also thought about city ownership display, but I think this would give away too much information, even if restricted to cities currently within view range of units from both opposing parties.)
Chazar

Postby piranha » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Finally got around to fixing players/teams and the number of rounds. I'll leave the Type: for fun as it is intended that way.
piranha
Site Admin

Return to Wish list