Destroy/Rebuild WatchTowers

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Destroy/Rebuild WatchTowers

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:47 am

It would be great if you can Destroy and Rebuilt(on the Same square) The Watch Towers. Thats makes it more important to defend them. It shoukld cost 200 to Rebuild it for example. Destroy nothing...
Tim

Re: Destroy/Rebuild WatchTowers

Postby smursh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 pm

nice idea. I might go further and say watchtower can be built anyplace(just as defense tower can). 200 gold for a few extra spaces of vision seems a fair trade since most will only build them in critical situations where you need the extra vision since they would be hard to defend compared to towers and can be destroyed easily if you do not defend them.
smursh

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:21 am

Would love it. :)
Tim

Postby Igor » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 am

Add my vote to ability of destroying Looking tower.

Though can't agree with building such tower on a place where it wasn't before in the game. This connects with building temples, ports, cities. Something should be able to build on any place and something not.
This was already discussed a year or two ago when it was offered to create special unit which could be able to build a port in any part of coast. Also would be interesting to build a bridge over any river place with the same unit.

BTW, if to destroy Looking tower, should a Temple also be able to be destroyed and rebuilt :?:
Igor

Postby Igor » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm

This also should cost something to rase it. If razing a city cost about 150-400 gold, to raze Looking tower for it's owner should cost may be 20-80 gold, depending on view radius. To raze Port or Temple should cost over 100 gold, they are more important than Looking tower.
Igor

Postby KGB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm not sure why razing things should money. It should cost *nothing* to raze towers/ports/temples just as it costs nothing to raze cities when you capture them.

It doesn't even make sense that it costs gold to self-raze. After all it's cheap to put a torch to everything. That's been the time-tested model of defense for thousands of years (Peasants torch fields / homes and retreat).

What we really need is a 'raze' skill added to the game like we have for the build skill. Only units with a raze skill would be able to raze (everything else could only pillage). So units like crows/eagles/serpents and other creatures with no realistic way to raze things could only pillage. Then raze/self-raze would cost nothing as it should be since destroying is always easier than building.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50 pm

This is how to conquer a city. If to raze in the moment of conquering it costs nothing, but gives no reward to the conqueror as well. But if to occupy a city/looking tower the conqueror should already pay for razing, as this now realised for cities.
To give ability of razing only for those units which can build - is already was at early stages of the game development, if I remember right. As for me, I'm glad when all units can rase cities. Though this makes angry a little when a crow razes an empty city, ha-ha.

Income buildings also could be destroyed/rebuilt, if to discuss such ability for new objects.
Igor

Postby KGB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Igor wrote:This is how to conquer a city. If to raze in the moment of conquering it costs nothing, but gives no reward to the conqueror as well. But if to occupy a city/looking tower the conqueror should already pay for razing, as this now realised for cities.

But this is a silly rule that makes no logical sense. Razing should cost the same whether you do it when you conquer the city or when you already own it. Burning something down is burning something down. The only reason it works as it does now is players whined like babies when you could conquer, plunder, then raze a city extracting maximum value. Even thought this is EXACTLY how it works in real war. Plus originally plunder value was 50% for all units so it generated a lot of gold. Now it's different depending on the unit.

Igor wrote:To give ability of razing only for those units which can build - is already was at early stages of the game development, if I remember right. As for me, I'm glad when all units can rase cities. Though this makes angry a little when a crow razes an empty city, ha-ha.

Actually it would be different units. Building should be a very limited number of units as it is now. But units capable of razing would be greater. For example a Dragon / Devil / Demon / Elephant / Sandworm is capable of razing a city but not of building one. Also this would allow some heroes to have a raze skill (DK) and some a build skill (Dwarf) and perhaps all heroes could have both but for different costs (2 points for a DK to get +1 build skill for example).

The fact not all units would be able to raze would open up more strategies and tactics since lone crows/eagles/scouts / serpents etc could plunder but not raze so the penalty for going 2nd (or later) is not as severe if one of those units catches you by surprise.

KGB
KGB

Postby Igor » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:51 am

Hey KGB, wake up, ha-ha. It's not real war but just a game. Otherwise a lot of city defenders could die of hunger in the city, having no food to defend it more.
Game works how it works. Cities can be razed for free when you conquer them, and this cost money when you raze your own city, already conquered.

Every one can raze a building or a city, this is easy work. To build a city is a special work for only units who has learn this. This is why all units can raze cities but only some of them can rebuild it.

Top idea was to rase and rebuild Looking towers. I would also offer to add razing and rebuilding for some other objects, such as Temple, Port, Income building. And base this cost on the current rule of cities, as it costs to raze and rebuild them.
Igor

Postby KGB » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Igor wrote:Hey KGB, wake up, ha-ha. It's not real war but just a game. Otherwise a lot of city defenders could die of hunger in the city, having no food to defend it more.
Game works how it works. Cities can be razed for free when you conquer them, and this cost money when you raze your own city, already conquered.

It's supposed to be a simulation of war so it should be somewhat realistic. The costs for razing make zero sense. They aren't even for game balance because the game doesn't need it to be balanced.

As for defenders dying of hunger, the answer is maybe. Many units don't eat in a traditional sense (Ghosts/Demons/Devils/Elementals), many other eat plants (Unicorn/Elephant/Mammoth) or insects (Spider/Crow/Eagle/Scorpion) which will be plentiful. It would be impossible to model a food system for non-humanoids and humanoids. Even humanoid defenders can last a LONG time (siege of Lenningrad lasted more than 2 years and defenders didn't starve to death) before dying off.

Igor wrote:Every one can raze a building or a city, this is easy work. To build a city is a special work for only units who has learn this. This is why all units can raze cities but only some of them can rebuild it.

Not true. How do you imagine Crows/Eagles/Serpents/Spiders/Scorpions razing a city with no arms/tools? Or Ghosts that have no physical presence?

Igor wrote:Top idea was to rase and rebuild Looking towers. I would also offer to add razing and rebuilding for some other objects, such as Temple, Port, Income building. And base this cost on the current rule of cities, as it costs to raze and rebuild them.

I have no problem with razing ports, temples, income buildings. As long as it costs money to raze AND rebuild those. The problem is you have to set the raze/rebuild cost VERY cheap (5-10 gold) otherwise it will wreck the game.

KGB
KGB

Next

Return to Wish list