Remove sim start for sep games

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Remove sim start for sep games

Postby Vicotnic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 am

Remove the simultanious start for games with seperate turns, this has been discussed in other topics and it seemes to me that the vast mayority does not like how it works, at the very least not for 1v1 games.
Vicotnic

Re: Remove sim start for sep games

Postby smursh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:46 pm

or at least remove the countdown timer. Maybe change to 1st two turns instead of 4
smursh

Postby Vicotnic » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:51 pm

First two and no freeze would be better then this, but I still think it is confusing for very little gain. Removing it all togather seemes cleaner.
Vicotnic

Postby zorro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm

What is a slowed down accelaration good for?
zorro

Postby Vicotnic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 am

You mean that they run in sim or the removing of sim would be a slow down? There is quite a lot of discussion of it in the topic named 'Freeze time' in Game discussion.

The problem with sim turn is that it can end up with players getting double moves which can be super devestating on small maps (scouts razing unguarded cities, also early wizards on most maps), also in 1v1 games it usually slow down rather then speed up the process since a lot of the time both players are online and the freeze time is a real bother. This is particular a problem if you want to start a game with a friend on a weekend just to find yourself with a 6 hour freeze time, maybe a longer time then it would take the two of you to finish the game if both were online.
Vicotnic

Postby Chazar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 am

+1 from me! Remove the stupid freeze time for standard games, as it actually slows game starts.

An alternative suggestion:
Before a new turn starts, check whether any unit can reach an enemy city/tower/site within the new turn. If no, then another simultaneous turn without freeze time begins. If yes, then the first normal turn begins (this could be normal turns or simultaneous turns with freeze time, depending on the chosen game mode). Note that the condition is never again checked, once it has failed.

Advantages:
  • No freeze time whatsoever necessary
  • Speed up for all game modes during the initial turns
  • Automatically: Large speedup for large maps, small speedup for small maps
  • Easy to implement, given the existing code base

Disadvantages:
  • One more boolean flag per game must be stored
  • Leaks some minor information about expansion/scouting of other players (if it kills boring victories by early crows, all the better)
  • Expensive computation Ω(n²), but only for initial turns, where n is still small (n=buildings+units);
    and that computation happens between turns and is still faster than the current freeze times!
Chazar

Postby zorro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Vicotnic wrote:You mean that they run in sim or the removing of sim would be a slow down? There is quite a lot of discussion of it in the topic named 'Freeze time' in Game discussion.

No, I mean, making games faster by starting simultaneous and then having freeze times makes no sense to me. Just dont do both then.
zorro

Postby Vicotnic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 am

zorro wrote:
Vicotnic wrote:You mean that they run in sim or the removing of sim would be a slow down? There is quite a lot of discussion of it in the topic named 'Freeze time' in Game discussion.

No, I mean, making games faster by starting simultaneous and then having freeze times makes no sense to me. Just dont do both then.

Roger got you.
Vicotnic

Postby Vicotnic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 am

Chazar wrote:+1 from me! Remove the stupid freeze time for standard games, as it actually slows game starts.

An alternative suggestion:
Before a new turn starts, check whether any unit can reach an enemy city/tower/site within the new turn. If no, then another simultaneous turn without freeze time begins. If yes, then the first normal turn begins (this could be normal turns or simultaneous turns with freeze time, depending on the chosen game mode). Note that the condition is never again checked, once it has failed.

Advantages:
  • No freeze time whatsoever necessary
  • Speed up for all game modes during the initial turns
  • Automatically: Large speedup for large maps, small speedup for small maps
  • Easy to implement, given the existing code base

Disadvantages:
  • One more boolean flag per game must be stored
  • Leaks some minor information about expansion/scouting of other players (if it kills boring victories by early crows, all the better)
  • Expensive computation Ω(n²), but only for initial turns, where n is still small (n=buildings+units);
    and that computation happens between turns and is still faster than the current freeze times!

I can see this being a big advantage for people wanting to speed up games on big maps, I would not like it thou cos of the information leak. So if it was done I would prefer it as an option.
Vicotnic

Postby Zywus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Why not just make it optional to begin with sim-turns in matches with separate movement?

That way, people can make a judgement for themselves if they think it would speed up their game or not.
Zywus

Next

Return to Wish list