Hero Levels

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Hero Levels

Postby Azekial » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:05 am

Only four levels for Heros is to limiting a level 5 and maybe 6 would be great.

To often in Warlords 2 an starting or even a 2nd early hero reach level 4 very quickly.

How about a few more levels
Azekial

Re: Hero Levels

Postby SnotlinG » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 pm

We have already "split" up the levels into several more levels, but getting lesser bonus at each level.
For example at level 2, your hero will get+1 in strength, at level 3, the hero will get +2 in move, etc...
Currently we have 10 levels. However we are thinking of extending the hero-system quite a bit later anyway, with more options etc when you level. :-)

I think this is kind of what you want? :-)
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Snotling,

This is slightly off the topic, but how much XP are heroes getting awarded right now?

I have captured 2 cities and my hero has 8 XP leading me to think you get 4 xp per city captured. Is this true? How much XP for winning a battle outside a city and how much for searching a ruin?

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Currently xp is awarded per strengthpoint in the defeated army. So if you win over an army consisting of an orc plus a heavyinfantry, your hero will gain 2+3=5xp. If you conquer a city you will get an extra bonus of 2 xp.

If you are defending you will get 0.5 xp strengthpoint in the defeated army, and -2 xp if you are defending in a city.

Hero levels are currently set like:

xp is not reset when leveling, so after reaching level 2 at 20 xp, you need 10 more to get to level 3 etc...

This is our current setup, we will evaluate it during beta2 :-)
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:23 am

SnotlinG,

Thanks for the explanation of XP. When you say strength point do you mean natural strength or strength after all bonus's are calculated?

I assume you realize that heroes will literally ROCKET up levels once the neutrals are conquered and players are killing each others stacks. Just killing one simple stack of 8 light infantry will give 16 XP. Killing a city full of 32 light infantry would give 64 XP. My guess is this is WAY too fast for leveling.

If you want to award XP based on the strength of the enemy armies you should also subtract 1/2 of the heroes stack army strength points from the enemy strength points. Then award what's left with a minimum of 1 XP. So that way when a full hero stack of a hero + 7 dragons kills a couple of light infantry the hero only gets 1 XP instead of 4. Even if that same hero stack killed 8 light infantry it would only get 1 XP which makes sense because the hero stack is such an overwhelming favorite.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:50 am

We are currently calculating on natural strength-points. I know it would be better to calculate on strength including bonuses, but for the time beeing we (or at least I :D ) have judged the advantage as very small doing it that way as compared to the amount of programing it would require to take into consideration all bonuses also for xp calculations.

Doing some kind of calculation on the hero´s army and subtracting from xp earned sounds like a good idea.

Regarding rocket-leveling, I have set the xp needed for leveling as increasing, but most likely it needs to be tweaked. The idea behind this is to not have a hero slaying a single light infantry again and again, and level quickly through that method.

If we compare to warlords2 levels, for reaching the first level you basicly need ~30 xp in our system, which should take a while in the early stages of the game. For reaching next level it would be ~60 more xp, wich I think should still take some time, and reaching last level would be an additional ~85 xp.
Lets see how it works, but if we see to much rocketing we will definitely tweak it :-)
SnotlinG

Return to Wish list